Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Selene was careful as could be sneaking back into the cabin but it wasn’t enough. She and Ben had come up with a plan; first she’d go inside and after a few minutes to give her enough time to get to her bed, Ben would come inside and they’d be free and clear.

Just past the living room as she pasted the kitchen she ran into her brother. “Scott, what are you doing up?” her heart raced against her ribs at a painful rate.

Scott’s expression was tense and down right pissed. “I couldn’t sleep and went out.”

Her heart stopped and bottomed out to her feet. “It doesn’t look like it helped.”

“Nope.” He shook his head, his expression stayed on edge. “Where’ve you been all this time?”

Selene didn’t want to say too much and give her secret away. “Same as you, couldn’t sleep and decided to take a walk around the lake. It was too early to fall asleep.” She shrugged and glanced away from his dark eyes.

Ben stepped inside and knew instantly he should’ve waited longer. “Hey.” His tone was nervous. “What are you two doing out here?”

Scott chuckled, it wasn’t a humorous sound. “Couldn’t sleep, what about you?”

Ben shrugged and ran his hand over his hair. “I thought about joining Tim and Luke in town but I wasn’t feeling up to it and turned back around.”

Scott looked at his best friend and kept his eyes there. “I asked Sel and I asked you hoping one of you would tell me the truth. When did it get so easy for you to lie to me?” there was no mistaking he knew exactly where they had been.

Ben’s chest visibly deflated. “How did you find out?”

Scott’s face grew red. “You’re sleeping with my little sister and that’s what you decide to say right now? Why does it matter how the hell I found out?”

“We didn’t lie to hurt you.” Selene spoke up. “I swear we decided to tell you after spring break. You already were dealing with so much and I didn’t want to add to it.”

“What?” Scott was outraged. “You think this is serious?” he motioned between her and Ben. “It isn’t. He’s using you and you don’t even see it.”

“It’s not like that.” It was Selene who spoke first to defend her relationship. “I already thought the worst about everything but this is different. It’s not just sex.”

Those were probably the wrong words to mention right now. Scott didn’t want to accept they were indeed having sex. She was after all his little sister. He turned toward Ben again. “How much bullshit did you tell her?”

Ben knew why Scott was acting like this, he had been there for every adult relationship Ben ever had. He saw first hand how Ben refused to get serious with anyone and would run the other way before it could happen. He wished now Scott would listen and understand this was serious, he wasn’t using Selene. “I love her.”

Scott shook his head before cocking his hand back and punching Ben across the jaw. “You don’t know the meaning of the word. If you loved her you wouldn’t have to hide in the shadows. This is just a dirty secret and you made sure to treat it like so.”

“It wasn’t Ben’s idea to lie to you.” Selene stood in front of her brother and blocked him from touching Ben again. “He wanted to tell you from the beginning but I was the one who wanted to lie. I didn’t want to have this fight. I didn’t want to have to justify my actions. It’s my life Scott and I decide who I’m with even if it’s a mistake or not.”