Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Selene had been the first one ready downstairs that morning. She loaded up the van they all chipped in to rent before going to see if Ben was up. She didn’t bother to knock on the door, she walked inside and found he was still asleep. She walked over to the bed and looked down at him. “Hey wake up.” She nudged his arm but he was still sound asleep. She bent down closer to his face. “Ben?” she continued to shake his shoulder. “Fine be late.”

As she turned to walk away his hand grabbed her wrist and pulled her down onto the bed with him. “You should be more creative when you try and wake me up.” He said leaning over her.

“How so?” Selene turned her head when he tried to kiss her. “I don’t think so mister, you’re not kissing me with nasty morning mouth.” Ben smiled, it became a game, and he was determined to kiss her now. He grabbed her wrists and held her down. Selene laughed as she kept dodging his attempts. “Just let me go.” she said.

“Ok fine.” He let her go and rose from the bed. “You’re ready to go?”

“Yeah, Scott’s still asleep though.” She adjusted her t-shirt that lifted in the little bed match they had. Ben used that unsuspecting moment to grab her by the waist and plant a heavy kiss on her mouth. “Yuck!” she called out as he walked away to the bathroom.

Selene laughed as she headed back downstairs. Scott had woken up while she was gone; he was in the kitchen as she came down the stairs. Her heart stopped for a moment and wondered if he had heard anything. “Hey I was just coming to wake you up next.”

“Nah I set the alarm. Ben takes the longest to get ready anyway it was better to wake him up first.” Scott said as he dug around the fridge. 

“Yeah he’s worse then a girl.” Selene sat down at the table. “You know I don’t like this depressed you. I think you should make a choice no matter who it ends up hurting and just be happy.” As she said the words a little voice in her head suggested she do the same. But it was also different, it was family, she wasn’t torn between two lovers like Scott.

Scott sighed. “Yeah I just don’t know what the choice is.”

“I think you do, you’ve always been very good at having everything laid out, and you were never confused about your feelings. You’re the responsible one that doesn’t know how to make mistakes, just make the choice it’ll be the right one.”

Scott smiled at his little sister; she always knew how to help when time seemed unreasonable. “You have no idea how many mistakes I’ve made, we all do. Sometimes they just turn out to be good ones.”

“Right.” Selene softly agreed as she met Ben’s face as he came downstairs.

Ben looked at each of them. “This seems like a serious family moment, should I go?”

“You’re honoree family.” Scott said. “Let’s go pick everyone else up and find something to eat along the way, there’s nothing here.” He grabbed the keys off the table and led the way.

“Short people sit in the back.” Ben grabbed a hold of Selene’s pony tail and stopped her from heading to the front seat.

“Even before 6AM you’re an ass.” She pushed him as she opened the van’s side door and got in.  

Scott drove to Gillian’s first and got out to go help her carry her things down from the fifth floor apartment she shared with a roommate. Ben turned around in his seat. “Mad at me?”

“I have my anger in reserve so I can use it later to get back at you.”

“That sounds kinky.”

Selene’s mouth twitched but she wouldn’t smile. “You’ll see. Just because we’re secretly seeing each other doesn’t mean I don’t plan of getting you back and good for the times you piss me off, just like the old times.” She explained.

It took another half hour before everyone was in the van and they were headed to the lake. It was a four hour drive that didn’t seem easy for some. Selene noticed the tension between Lisa and Gillian, she knew her brother was happy to be the one driving since he didn’t have to focus on anything but the rode.

“This is boring.” Maggie said. “Anyone wanna play a game.”

“No.” Selene said. “Your games always lead to someone being uncomfortable or doing something they shouldn’t.”

“Party pooper.” Maggie cross her arms and couldn’t sit in the silence. “Anyone know who’s going to be in the cabin next to us? I hope it isn’t some stuffy couple like last year.”  

“No I heard it was going to be another group from school.” Luke answered. “I know Brandon is going and I think Jane.”

“What?” Selene asked her anger clearly showing. “A weekend with Jane right next door is fucking hell. You know she’ll try and get involved with everyone else around.”

“What about Brandon? He should be fine to be around, I heard you were dating.” Tim joined the conversation.

“No I’m not dating Brandon. I’m not dating anyone.” Selene cleared the air and just knew Ben was looking at her. He had turned in his seat and took interest the chat as well.

“You never date, waiting for Mr. Right is a sure way to stay alone.” Lisa said.

“Or you could pine after someone else’s Mr. Right.” Gillian said.

“Oh cat fight.” Tim sat forward with a big smile and waited for something to happen.

“Hey cut it out.” Selene said. “You two aren’t driving my brother crazy, just don’t talk if you can’t get along.”

“Or,” Luke spoke. “You can duke it out, I’m sure we can find a mud pit.”

“Men suck.” Carrie had been sleeping in her chair, she sat up now. “Always thinking about sex and your needs, that’s what’s wrong with this world. Can’t you guys be more like Ben, he’s just sitting there all quiet looking cute, you guys do the same ok?” she laid back down, a small smile tugging her lips.

Selene watched her friend; she knew her like a sister and always knew now that Carrie was looking at Ben in a new light, a light that caused Selene’s blood to boil.