Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Selene was wary after talking to Ben, the conversation ended after he said ‘we’ll see’ since Scott came downstairs. At school she avoided him during lunch and in the halls, she knew it was childish but she didn’t trust him especially if they ended up alone.

“You have to work today?” Carrie asked as they met up in the parking lot.

“Yeah but not for another two hours. What’s up?”

“I need your help on something. Ben is one of the smartest guys in town. I’m about to fail a class if I don’t pass the next test and my parents are going to flip so I was wondering if you could ask him if he’s available for a little tutoring.” Carrie explained.

“Why don’t you ask him?” Selene asked. She knew Carrie would think her dislike on the subject was because she didn’t like Ben not because something, she didn’t know what, was happening.

“We don’t know each other that well.”

“Ask Scott then to talk with Ben.”

“Scott’s busy trying to fix things with Gillian and Lisa since she’s pissed at him to for unknown reasons.” Carrie explained. “I get Ben is the plague for you but please! I’d do it for you.”

Selene sighed; she couldn’t deny her friend since it was true; she’d do it if Selene asked her for anything. “Fine I’ll talk to him. I’m sure he’ll say yes.”

“Thanks!” Carrie hugged her friend quickly before rushing to her car to head home and explain her current mess to her parents.

Selene sighed again as she raked back her hair and threw her bag in the back seat of the car. She glanced around the parking lot for Scott; she didn’t feel like waiting all day for him. She leaned against the body of the car and lifted her hair from her neck as she closed her eyes from the harsh sun. It was so hot out that day, another reason she’d wish Scott would hurry up since he had the keys. 

She felt a hand brush against her neck causing a different type of heat. She nearly jumped when she found Ben standing right beside her, she moved over. “What do you want?”

“Are you hiding from me?” Ben asked to just get right to the point while they had the time.

“What makes you say that?”

“Every time we saw each other you went the other way and now you’re itching away like any minute you’re going to make a run for it. Do I make you that nervous?” Ben asked and hid the fact he liked that she was affected by him; anything she felt was an improvement.

Selene forced herself to look at him and put her best game face on. “You don’t make me anything.” How she wished that was true, what the hell happened? She wondered, where did these desires come from and how could she get rid of them?

Ben grabbed her wrist and pulled her back beside him. “You never were a good liar.”

“Ugh why can’t you get this through your thick head? I want you to leave me alone and just forget what happened Saturday and last night.” Selene said glancing around very few seconds to make sure they were still alone.

“Can you?”

“Can I what?”

“Can you just forget?”

Selene sighed and found herself looking into his blue eyes. “Let’s just say for a second I’m willing to go along with what you want. What is it you want?” she couldn’t stop herself from addressing the subject again because it was gnawing at her all day.