Chapter 20

Chapter 20

The cabin had two large rooms designed for Spring Break; each room housed two sets of bunk beds and two twin size beds on the opposite side of the room. The girls took one room and the guys took the other, it didn’t matter who came with who; they always broke it off into teams of boys and girls. It made the trip more comfortable that way. Selene glanced at Gillian and then Lisa; this wasn’t going to be a stress free trip for her brother. Lisa was willing to leave the past in the past and go with the flow but Gillian was bitter and made sure everyone knew it.

Selene picked one of the single beds and dropped her bag on top of it. She was left alone with Lisa after Gillian and Maggie left to help put the food away. “Are you ok?” she asked.

Lisa chuckled. “Sure why not.”

Selene walked over to the door and closed it. “Can I ask you something?”

Lisa sat down on the other single bed, her shoulders slumped. “Is it about Scott?”

“Yeah, he’s in hell right now and I’m curious, are you in love with my brother?” she knew Scott wasn’t clear on what he felt for Lisa, she knew he cared deeply for Gillian and that was probably why he kept putting up with her mood. Gillian was upset to learn she wasn’t the first serious relationship Scott had and couldn’t cope with Lisa being near. What Selene didn’t know was what Lisa felt about the subject.

Lisa mulled the question over. “Probably.”

“We’re friends right?” she continued at Lisa’s nod. “You can talk to me. I always liked you and Scott together; he was always himself with you.”

Lisa groaned. “What does he see in her?” she whispered, a question that had been on her mind a lot.

“I’m not sure.” She answered truthfully. Gillian was pretty but there had to be more then that for Scott to fall for her.

The door opened back up and Carrie stepped inside. “You guys want to be alone?” she asked after seeing Lisa’s tense expression.

“No, I was about to leave.” Lisa said and made her exit.

Carrie walked over to the bottom bunk she was staying in. Maggie and Gillian took the other set of bunk beds to share. “That seemed tense.”

“It is, it doesn’t look like this is going to blow over soon and Gillian isn’t letting up. It might be easier if she stopped starting fights with Lisa and Scott.” Seeing her best friend reminded Selene of what she noticed on the ride over to the cabin. “So Ben huh? I saw how you looked at him. That would be a huge mistake Carrie.”  She tried to think of a reasonable explanation to get her friend off her secret boyfriend’s tail.

Carried smiled. “I don’t plan on marrying the guy, it was some innocent flirting nothing serious.”

Selene returned her smile faintly and wanted to strangle her friend but then reminded herself Carrie didn’t know what Selene felt toward Ben or that anything was happening.

She smelled the scent of a grill and remembered Scott mentioning grilling up some lunch. She left the room followed by Carrie and stepped outside to where the group was sitting around on the property benches.

“How’s it going?” she asked her brother, standing beside him.

Scott sighed and shrugged his shoulders. “I’m grilling these burgers and that’s it.” he sounded miserable and by the looks of it that wasn’t changing anytime soon.

“It sucks to be you.” Selene knew it wasn’t the most caring thing to say but it was honest. She had offered her advice but in the end Scott had to go through his hell his own way and figure it out; make a choice. “Need any help? I can’t help with your women drama but I can cook a mean burger.”

Scott chuckled. “I know, I was the one who taught you. No I got this; it gives me a reason to be anti-social.”

Selene wished her brother luck and turned toward the group where Maggie was starting up one of her infamous games. “Oh no.” she muttered, quickly heading back inside the cabin before Maggie spotted her. 

“Hi.”

Selene turned away from the door and spotted Ben coming from the kitchen, he must’ve come back inside while she was talking to Scott. “Maggie is starting a game to pass time.” She explained.

“I made an excuse to come inside before she could recruit players. Her last game caused enough trouble.”

“And embarrassment.”

He stepped closer. “I wouldn’t say that, it did give us a chance to be honest.” Ben reached for her hand. “Everyone’s outside.” His tone was laced with sexual suggestion.

Selene tried not to blush. “They can easily walk back in.” it dawned on her that even after all the realizations and stolen kisses they had only slept together once and that had been during a drunken haze. She wanted him, badly, but the timing was always off or rushed. This trip was shaping up to be no better. She told him as much.

“Let’s make a date for later then, when everyone else is asleep.” Ben refused to let more time pass then need be; like waiting until they got back home. He’d burst by then.

Selene chuckled. “Someone’s horny.”

Still holding her hand, Ben pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Is that a no?” he slipped his hands under her t-shirt, resting them along her ribcage.

Selene groaned, she didn’t want him to stop but the risk was too high to continue. She pulled out of his grasp and stepped back. “When and where?”

“Admitting I get you hot and bothered?”

“Shut up or I’ll change my mind and then you’re stuck again alone with---”

Ben closed the space between them again with a kiss. “Meet me at the lake an hour after everyone goes to bed.” He kissed her again, that time slower.

Selene couldn’t turn off the warning bells in the back of her head, she melted into Ben’s kiss but she was constantly worried someone might walk in. She wasn’t ashamed to be with Ben but the thought of facing everyone especially Scott was too much to handle. Right now she wanted Ben and their relationship to herself with no outside interference.

She pulled away from the kiss and dashed through the kitchen and out the back entrance before he could make another grab for her.

Selene was smiling like a giddy school girl as she walked down the porch steps, she didn’t noticed she wasn’t alone.

“Hey, funny seeing you here.”

She turned her head to the right, her smile faltered. “Hey, Brandon.” Her smile completely disappeared when she noticed who else was there. “Jane.”