Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Selene realized she had fallen asleep on the sofa when she was awoken by Ben sitting at her feet. She looked at the clock on top of the TV and saw it was past midnight. "What are you doing?"

"It's easier to get to this door then mine all the way in the back."

Selene sat up and looked at him for a moment. "You did get drunk didn't you?" she asked, noticing he kept his eyes closed.

"No."

Selene leaned a little closer to him and smelled alcohol. "Liar. You said Jane was boring anyway, you had to get loaded to be out this long."

Ben sighed. "No I was out because I didn't want to be here."

Selene knew he was drunk and felt a little bad about taking advantage but she continued on. "Why?" she wanted answers, sober Ben wouldn't answer so she had to use her chance.

Ben sunk into the sofa, his face rested on the palm of his hand. "Because I didn't want to see you."

"Why?"

"You ask why a lot."

"Just answer." She demanded with her chest tight, she wanted to know what was going on inside his head.

"It's awkward." Ben admitted.

Selene was glad to hear that because now she wasn't the only one feeling the backlash of sleeping with someone you shouldn't. "You have to work on it." She said, it was working for her, it could work for him. "Just remember all the reasons you don't like me."

Ben finally opened his eyes and looked at her. "That'll be a little hard." He admitted as he brushed a strand of hair away from her face, leaning closer to her. "I should go before I do something I shouldn't." He softly said before leaving the sofa.

Selene sat there, confused, more confused then she had been before. Just when she thought she had it all figured out, Ben did something to throw off her whole theory. She shook her head and went up to bed. Whatever was going on with Ben had nothing to do with her; she just had to move on.

Selene opened her eyes that Monday morning and still didn't feel better about the nights before. When she was dressed and ready to go she found Ben in the kitchen eating a pop-tart. "Want one?" he asked.

"No I don't like sweet stuff in the morning." Selene answered as she went to the fridge in search for something she did want.

"Hey Sel?"

His voice was so soft and hesitant that is caused her to turn around and meet his blue eyes. "What?"

"About last night, about what I said-"

"It doesn't matter, you're right it is awkward but hey that's natural. We'll get past it." Selene said as she went back to looking for something to eat.

Ben sighed. "You're being really stubborn you know that? Yeah we can get past it if we really want to but it might help if we talked about it more then two seconds."

Selene slammed the fridge closed. "What is there left to say?"

"I don't know, just say something. What are you feeling right now?"

"I feel…I should go before I'm late to class. I feel nervous about a test I have today. I feel I should go before I say something you won't like. I'm over it Ben, I've come to terms what happened and I'm right back to not liking you. Find a way to do the same." Selene tightly said before walking out of the kitchen. She grabbed Scott's keys off the coffee table and left to class.

Ben stayed leaned against the counter in the kitchen; he didn't trust himself to leave yet and run into her outside. She pushed every button he had; he wanted to kill her as much as he wanted to kiss her.

She's your best friend's sister! He raked back his hair; he needed to find a way to get over this stupid crush he developed for Selene. It shouldn't be hard to get over, she was making it every easy by pissing him off.

He grabbed his bag off the floor and left.

"You look angry enough to kill." Carrie said as she met up with Selene at one of the outside tables around the college.

"I am."

"Ben pissing you off?"

Selene groaned and looked up from the book she was reading. "Why does everything have to do with Ben?"

"Ok so if it's not about him, what's up?"

"I don't want to talk about it, ever again." Selene said more to herself then Carrie. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing much, I hate school but its better then getting a job and paying my own way. I stay in school and the folks are happy." Carrie said with a shrug. "Oh ugh no one wants to see that."

Selene followed her friend's eyes and found Ben talking with Jane; standing next to a few tables down, she had her arm around his waist as they talked. "That's good." she forced herself to say. She didn't care who Ben dated but there was apart of her angry to see Jane so close to him.

"What are you doing tonight?" Carrie asked.

"I have to study for a test Mrs. Robinson is handing out tomorrow, I'm just staying home, why?"

"I have nothing to do, you wanna go out instead?"

"No Saturday was enough for me." Selene said. She wanted to stay home and just relax, she kept reminding herself it had nothing to do with the deal she made Ben, if she wanted to she'd break the deal because she didn't owe him anything. Yup, she thought, I owe him nothing. "I'm sure you'll find something. I'll talk to you later." She gathered her things and left the table before she was late to her next class.

On her way she walked past Jane and Ben, it caused her to cringe. Jane just wasn't the best girl for anyone, Selene thought. Even though she hated Ben and was severely pissed off with him at the moment she still didn't wish Jane on him.

She made it to class with time to spare; she sighed and welcomed the distractions.