Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Selene's sour mood didn't lighten by the time she got home; she was just having a bad day. She threw her stuff down on the coffee table and sat on the sofa. She sighed with relief at the fact she didn't work Mondays. "Great." She mumbled when she heard the back door open but to her surprise it wasn't Ben, it was Scott. "What are you doing back a day early?" she asked. She didn't mind he was back, it would be easier to be around Ben if Scott was around she decided.

Scott set his bag down beside hers and sat on the lounge chair. "We decided to come back home early so we'd have time to rest since the drive was so long."

"But everything's ok?"

"Yeah everything's fine, we had a great time and did some sight seeing but there's class tomorrow and neither of us can afford to be dragging in class." Scott explained.

"You have a genius for a best friend, I'm sure you won't fail." Ben said as he joined them in the living room.

"Hey man." Scott said and stood to greet his friend. "How was everything while I was gone?"

Selene sighed and sunk into the sofa. "Do you mean me? I was horrible Scott, I did everything wrong, even table danced."

Scott's jaw dropped at her serious tone causing her and Ben to laugh. "She's joking." Ben said now. It was better to lie then to watch Scott have a heart attack. "Everything was fine while you were gone."

Selene understood Ben's need to lie, why cause unneeded trouble? But there was something else going on, he kept covering for her and it left her confused but then again it was Ben, he could just be setting her up for something else, he loved when she owed him but she was also more confused because he wasn't cashing in on favors. "You worry too much." She told her brother.

"Mom and dad will kill me if I didn't plus you're my sister, it's my job to worry." Scott reminded her. "I'm gonna go lie down, I'll see you guys later."

Selene stood once her brother was gone, she gathered her things and decided to head up to her room as well but that was the sensible thing, she couldn't seem to do that for too long. "I have to ask you something." she wanted to hit herself as the words left her mouth and the question surrounded her mind.

"Go ahead but it doesn't mean I have to answer."

"Ah there it is, you're being an ass to me again. I like that, I respond to that but right now shut up and just answer and don't think about it, I'm just curious that's all. What's going on with you and Jane?"

Ben shrugged. "We're dating."

Selene nodded. "Alright thanks." She said as she left the room, feeling like a huge idiot but she wanted to know what was going on, simple as that. She hated Jane and wanted to be prepared if the woman was going to start showing up at the house, Selene shuddered at the thought but knew it was a possibility.

She shut her bedroom door and dropped her bags on the desk chair, she had homework but it would have to wait until later. Instead she lay down and sighed; Scott was home and Ben and her were back to bickering, maybe life could go back to the way it was before Saturday happened.

When she went back downstairs a few hours later she wasn't alone. "What's going on?" she asked, Tim Marley, a good friend of Scott and Ben's.

"We're having a little get together for Scott and Gillian, a welcome home thing."

"They went out of town for a few days and had fun. It wasn't like they left the planet."

"You know how it is, anything to get together and have a few drinks." Lisa, Scott's ex-girlfriend and still good friend chimed in.