Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“No! You must be high.” Selene quickly said, she wanted to find a way to make it work out with Ben that didn’t involved hiding in closets but telling Scott was just a scary thought. She knew her brother, they had been close all their life, he wouldn’t be happy she was sleeping with his best friend who also lived in the same house. “We’re not telling him.”

Ben sat down on the bed. “You are very confusing. Why don’t you figure out what we should do then?”

Selene sat beside him. “I don’t know. I’m not good at this, I think I should leave and go see if I still have a job and we figure this out later.” She headed over to the door. “You’re a genius right? Surely you’ll come up with something.”

Ben smiled as he watched her go, she was a real piece of work but she was worth it and that scared him. Before when a relationship got too hard he pulled out but with Selene it was complicated from the start and he had no desire to walk away.

He used the free time to clean up his room, homework wasn’t a main priority since they were now on Spring Break, homework and studying could wait. He headed downstairs an hour later and met up with Scott. “How’s the women drama going now?”

“Gillian doesn’t hate me as much and she’s still going to Wicker Lake with us.” Scott explained.

Ben cringed for his friend. “So is Lisa.”

Scott sighed. “Yeah, this is a mess and Gillian doesn’t know but fuck it once we’re there I’ll deal with the tension.” He shrugged and continued to eat his dinner. He reached a point where he didn’t care for his girlfriends nonsense and anger he couldn’t seem to help with. “Who else is going to the Lake?” it was weekend trip they planned months ago, he wasn’t going to let anything ruin it.

“Your women, Selene, me, you, Tim, Maggie, Luke and Carrie. I spoke to everyone at school today; we’ll all be ready to head out tomorrow night.”  Ben finished explaining as the back door opened and Selene joined them at the table.

“You look more pissed then normal, what’s up?” Scott asked his sister.

“Something came up and I was late for work so now to keep my job I have to work the weekend and give up the trip.” Selene explained. Her boss let her finish off the rest of her shift that day and gave her the deal to think of overnight, if she went in tomorrow would be her answer.

“There’s other jobs out there, find another one.” Ben said and met her eyes silently saying she couldn’t ditch their trip. “It’s not like you love the job anyway.”

Selene looked away from him and sighed. “Yeah seeing Jane more then I care too sucks but her mom is a good boss and it’s good pay. Plus she’s being more then nice, she could’ve fired me.”

“Why were you late?” Scott asked.

Selene had thought of her lie before she came home, she didn’t even hesitant to lie to Scott, it was becoming easier but at the same time she knew something had to give she couldn’t continue to betray his trust. “I went to Carrie’s to let her know Ben was willing to help her and we talked about tomorrow and the time got away from me. What do you think I should do?” she asked her brother.

“Stress sucks.” Scott said relating his current problems to the topic at hand. “Why have extra stress? I’d check out the want ads when I came back to town.”

Selene smiled. “The reasonable Scott is gone, what’s going on with you?”

“Women trouble.” Ben chimed in.

“Makes the world go round.” Scott stood from the table. “Just screw the job Sel and come have fun with us tomorrow.” He said before leaving.

“That’s advice you are taking.” Ben stated once they were alone.

“Aww are you saying you want me there?”

“No of course not.” Ben said pretending to be offended as he left the table as well and headed up to his room.

Selene sat there and smiled as she thought of the men she lived with, it could be worse. There were times she hated them both but she wouldn’t trade them in for the world, even before Saturday happened, in a strange way she liked Ben in her life.

Selene grabbed something to eat and headed up to bed. It was still early into the night but they all had to up and ready before the sun rose to make good time. Even before college they always used any breaks or holidays off to gather and head up to Wicker lake and reconnect with the important people in their lives; friends. It was a tradition that no matter who grew apart or ended up hating each other they still came and let go.

This trip would be much different Selene thought as she lay down. The whole mess with Gillian, Scott and Lisa, the new relationship between her and Ben. She wondered what else was going on between their group of friends. And just how would it factor into the weekend?