Chapter 17: The Secret Santa Exchange

Thalia's Workshop, 2:22 a.m.

Percy was prompt when they returned.

He didn't let go of Nico's grip though and dared Thalia to make him move – not that Nico was complaining. They'd managed to get through it undetected as Thalia tried her best to make them feel comfortable.

The girl knew they didn't part on good terms, especially her and the cold, American boy so she attempted to be more gentle than she had with her troop in weeks. Christmas was the most stressful time of year for her when all the Hunters went off sleeper mode.

When she saw the two return, she turned and smiled.

She was running over a plan with a team of Hunters before a loud alarm went off to signal their departure, but after they saluted and dashed into a nearby hallway, she spread her arms wide in a welcome gesture.

"You've come back! That's good, very good! I was almost afraid, Percy, that you wouldn't listen."

"You and me both," Nico mumbled and Percy shot him a glower before he nodded. Thalia then looked at Nico's new, even darker outfit.

"Much better, my prince!" she said approvingly and Nico smiled before she pointed at his bag suddenly.

"Do you still have the old clothes?"

"Uh, yes?"

"Good. Give them to me, please."

Nico blinked but moved quickly to take it out. When the black fabric left his bag and he placed it in Thalia's palm, the two were surprised when she called Piper over.

Piper returned just before they had and was checking updates on a nearby computer. At Thalia's call, she hurried over and nodded at the two in greeting.

Thalia handed her the clothes.

"I would ask Zoë to do it but she just left for a mission," she said. "Can you send these to local dry cleaners for the prince?"

Piper nodded and when she walked away quickly to the nearest exit, Nico rubbed an arm and looked up.

"That was very nice of you, Ms. Grace–"

"Just Thalia, your highness," she stopped him with a kind but sad smile. "It's what everyone calls me."

"O-Okay," Nico replied. "Thank you...but you didn't have to send it for dry cleaning. I doubt that I'll wear it in this weather."

But Thalia shook her head and raised an arm.

"It's no trouble, in fact, it's necessary. You will need to wear it again."

Nico and Percy's eyes both grew wide.

"Why?" Percy asked suspiciously.

"Not here," the girl said and she waved a hand away to dismiss it.

She moved to a nearby hallway beside one of the many beds (that both soon realized several Hunters were using as they slept or were being patched up by their comrades) before she looked over her shoulder and threw her hand back.

"Follow me! We'll go to a quieter place to talk."

Percy's face was still serious and he moved close to Nico to speak to him.

When Nico felt his presence, his entire body seemed to sing pleasantly. He still couldn't get their earlier proximity and his completely-out-of-Nico's-comfort-zone move out of his head, even if it did manage to save their tails.

The feel of Percy's bicep around his waist, and his face in his hair, would forever sear into Nico's memory.

"Stay close," Percy mumbled under his breath and Nico sighed.