Chapter 26: Down The Rabbit's Hole We Go

Words: 13,188

Okay wow was I so late with this update. I'm really sorry guys. But here it is. I hope you enjoy.

On the road, 11:43 p.m.

Hazel twirled her pencil with her fingers before she put it between her teeth.

"Stupid bastard..."

She wasn't a metal detector. Her eyes were just gold and if the prince appreciated that, then Percy could just go to hell.

The hacker tightened her grip on the wheel.

Hazel flicked her hard, gold eyes to said boy in the passenger seat. Silent and brooding, Percy was busy looking out the window with his fist under his chin.

After being out for hours, that kid wouldn't need sleep for days.

Whatever.

Men had their issues – but now the girl wished more than ever that Nico was sitting in the front, especially since the two had argued earlier about who'd drive the car. And even after a few good heated minutes, both were still fuming under their calm expressions.

Percy was hotheaded, trying to make it obvious that he was more skilled in high-performance driving... but it was Hazel's baby, an Aston Martin One-77... AND built in with freaking computers too! So there was no way, in seven rings of hell, that the gold-eyed brunette was letting the recently wounded ex-spy get behind the wheel.

And Nico?

Playing with his right glove, he was burning holes into both their heads from the back.

He also made a point not to catch Percy's gaze when he turned his head.

So all in all, yeah, it was a pretty uncomfortable ride.

"I'm not taking the 390 or the 86," Hazel finally said gruffly so Percy could hear. "We'll follow the NY-19 and head south, alright?"

Percy didn't say anything and moved his gaze out past the dashboard. He watched the light snow dance in their headlights as they drove down the dark, lonely state road. It was a good plan as he mapped the route from Buffalo in his head. The NY-19 was less traveled by people, especially tonight, and even though it would take longer it was for the best.

"How long will it take?" they both heard Nico mumble from behind and Hazel gazed at his silhouette in the rear view mirror.

The light from her computers illuminated Nico's cheeks and his bleary eyes.

She frowned gently, pulling the pencil from her mouth.

"Couple more hours, maybe two or three," she answered and he nodded as he watched her bite on it again.

"Oh okay... thanks, Hazel."

Percy paused.

He then eyed Nico behind him, calculative and on edge.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" he finally suggested but the prince sat up higher in his seat and hugged himself.

"No, I'm alright, Percy." Nico still felt a little uncomfortable under his heavy stare but tried to cover it up with a gentle expression.

"Besides, if I fall asleep I can't stop you two from killing each other."

"I ma' no whromises, ir," Hazel grumbled past the pencil. Percy raised an eyebrow.

"You trying to gnaw down your teeth with that thing?"

"No, y'little shit. It's–"

Beep! Beep!