Chapter 36: Nico's North Star

HAPPY HALLOWEEN from the Prisoner of Azkaban! I hope your night is full of spooks and treats and fun and laughter! Also everyone please stay safe and comment what you were for Halloween this year!

Oh, and one more thing.

Enjoy the show.

...

"We could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke."

...

I don't have some amazing gift.

I don't... I...

"Tu sei il mio soldatino..."

Nico dreamt he was looking out a window down at all these houses.

Every tiny house looked like they sat on each other and when he got bored just staring, he started to sing some old Italian song to pass the time.

"La ragione per cui vivo..."

That was when he realized he was eight years old again... but at least the air was warm and breezy and the stars were out. He could even still hear far down the hill, listening to people still saying goodnight to each other.

At least, it sounded like it – they were all speaking in Italian, and Nico panicked because he realized that for the first time, he couldn't understand them.

But the girl in front of him kept on singing and her voice was still high.

"Bianca? Time to sleep!"

Suddenly, lips moved on their own. "W-Wait, sir! I have to make a wish on that star for him."

And suddenly, big tears rolled down his cheek before he wiped it away.

"M-Merry Christmas, Nico..."

Nico felt like his heart was going to explode.

Then the dream changed.

Nico felt himself grow smaller, feeling tinier than ever, feeling almost six. He was sitting on a rug on the floor, playing with a doll. His voice was even higher, more innocent, and his words were still barely pronounceable.

"Non ti scordar di me." Just then, a sound made him turn his head.

Dropping the toy, Nico felt himself get up and move to the window. His eyes were all dried up from crying the night before but he was hungry for lunch and stayed silent while he waited.

Once he got to the window, Nico stood on his tiptoes to poke his head over the windowsill and peeked up at the tree branch hanging across from him.

Out of nowhere, a giant long-tailed bat swung upside down on the branch.

He felt himself scream and run away.

"Aaahhh–AAAAHHHHH!"

Then out of nowhere, Nico found himself in a dark corner of a hospital room.

Or at least, he thought he was.

"W-Wh-Where's Nico?" he heard someone say in a raspy voice.

When he blinked, he saw a bright light over a table.. or was it a bed?

"H-Haaah... I-I don't know," he heard someone say in a higher voice. Eerily fast, the view suddenly changed and Nico was staring at a only door across the room – he saw someone else's foot. "H... He never came."