Chapter 35: Baby, It's Cold Outside

Word count: 26,771

I take it back. THIS has been my favorite chapter to write so far! And because yesterday (September 9th) was my birthday, I present to you guys something you've all been waiting for!

I'll save my talk for the end. If you survive this. And fair warning to the otherwise 'innocent' readers out there. Bon voyage!

"I just want you for my own. More than you could ever know."

Percy drove the Shadow two wintry towns over where they managed to find the only service stop open for sad Christmas drivers. He went looking for a phone while Nico went dry his boot and his wet sock in the washroom. Afterwards he flew into the open convenience store.

Percy, meanwhile phoned ahead to a hotel in the next town and booked the only room they had left – and when they asked if cash would be a problem since their credit card systems were down, he gave a half smile into the receiver and said it wasn't a problem.

Now that he had his original funds back thanks to Thalia and Hazel, he wanted to make it up to Nico after their horrible first night together.

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter.

After he finished, the newly-reborn operative promptly joined Nico and the two searched the aisles for what they thought was necessary and could still fit in their bags. They still had all their clothes and Percy had his weapons belt from Thalia.

"Wow, they've got a lot of things," Percy commented. His eyebrows drifted high under his bangs. When he took a step into an aisle, gazing on old brands he now remembered (and appreciated since he'd stayed in Europe and Asia for the last two months), Nico watched him earnestly.

Percy's face was open and curious, and while he wasn't grinning like crazy after all he'd just went through, it was nice to see not a thread of bitterness or pain on his face. Nico inwardly cooed when Percy lifted or poked something, and paused to think about it. Nico even turned to jelly when he saw the ghost of a smile cross Percy's lips when he saw something else that he suddenly remembered having.

But it wasn't like Nico had all the time to enjoy it. Percy was still quick and cautious, disappearing around corners quicker than he could keep up and not really saying much.

So Nico eventually left him alone and went to do his own thing – but Percy was always perceptive of where he was, now more than ever.

When they were done, Nico bought more gum and Percy bought the toothbrushes they so desperately wanted since Night One. Then he threw a roll of duct tape on the checkout counter too. Percy realized he needed to waterproof some areas of his backpack and belt in case of emergencies. The cashier however, smirked.

"You know, rope works better if you're trying to get kinky for Christmas," she commented and Nico's face immediately blossomed ten shades of red – even Percy's ear burned, but he recovered faster than the prince and rolled his eyes.

"Plus," as she continued. "They're a heck of lot faster to get out of."

"Trust me, we're not doing what you think we're doing."

"Okie dokie."

Her face said otherwise.

So with cheeks burning and comfortable silence, the two decided coffee and donuts really was the best choice, deciding that they couldn't get out of there any faster.

...

"And you're sure, Mr. Spy Man?" Nico asked as a warm puff of Christmas air left his lips. He was poking Percy in the head and staring at the Dunkin' Donuts behind the gas station with a slight smile.