Chapter 27: The Final Penance of Project Demigod

Merry Christmas Eve, you guys! For the Christmas holiday I'm going to give you guys two updates. One today, and then one either on Christmas Day or the day after (since I'll be spending all day with family.) I hope you guys enjoy this update. Oh, and good luck- you're gonna need it. ;)

Project Demigod

Percy's breath fogged up his vision as they all crept together slowly toward the computer, wary of the yellow and bright lights that twinkled underneath.

When Hazel neared it first she set straight to work looking around it while Percy and Nico stood idly by. They weren't sure what to do.

"Why would this be here?" Percy murmured as his expression grew dark.

"H-How old is this thing?" Nico muttered. He swept his finger across the top to catch dirt and grimaced when it coated his glove.

"Maybe a couple years but g–" Hazel stopped gripping the motherboard and tilted it back into place. With her hand splayed over the top of it, she looked up.

Percy and Nico froze at her shocked expression.

"What?" the prince asked nervously but Hazel found it hard to look him (and even Percy) in the eye. So she looked down at a spot behind them – but they noticed her gold eyes were large and in disbelief.

"This hard drive, it..."

Percy took a step forward.

"What's wrong with it?"

"This system it's... it's at least over ten years old," she finally mustered and looked up at him. Nico furrowed both his eyebrows.

"Why?" he asked but his question was more of a figurative that everyone was thinking. The operatives didn't need (or want) to answer.

"I've seen these models before, heavy build and outdated but they pack a punch. Most crime lords and drug distributors have them on standby. You know that right, Percy?"

And the boy nodded. He moved around Nico slightly to lean down and check the external appliance too.

"Can't remember from my days as an agent. But yeah, I've seen them recently," he whispered bitterly – his mind instantly went to Kronos's warehouse, the computer back at Ares's Den, and the other lowlife criminal rings he poked around in during the past months.

He tightened his glove subconsciously on his LX rod.

"But why would one be down here?"

He didn't notice that when he gritted his teeth, Hazel did the same. The two were shooting the PC a dark glower.

"Dunno... but that screen is startin' to freak me the hell out."

"You gonna check the OS?"

"Yeah, help me find the processor..."

As they continued to mumble to themselves, Nico blew a cold breath from his nose. He shivered painfully when the cold bristled inside his lungs until he decided he needed to move.

'Keep warm... just like Percy said.' And his heart fluttered a bit in his chest. 'Oh god, not now.'

So Nico stepped aside and gave them room while he waited. He then lifted himself on his toes and dropped down anxiously but after doing it several times, he stopped. It only made his anxiety worse since the heels of his boots echoed around the room.

It was still cold and dark and with every glance it seemed to become more menacing. Why were there still computer screens left... yet no other piece of furniture or object in sight? Everything else that might've been there was gone but to purposely leave this creepy reminder of the scientists and spies' work felt like a huge no-no.