Chapter 37: The Green Eyed Blizzard

Word count: 12,393

And in three... two... one...

...

CLINCH!

Percy turned his head slightly.

The gun's safety lock echoed for a moment, high up around the church.

Through his peripheral vision, he saw something swing back and forth in the person's hand behind him, glinting in the pale light that came through the dirty windows.

The newcomer was unmoving and unsettlingly calm, but his dark chuckle made his appearance more troublesome, especially when it sent goosebumps shooting up Nico's arms. With a heartbeat pounding and a shaking compact mirror, the prince's eyes grew wide. He thought of nothing but the man standing behind Percy and the glock leveled at his head.

The former suddenly smirked under his black hoodie and yellow visor.

"You know what the national bird of Estonia is, pretty boy?" he teased coldly as he kept swinging the golden box in his other glove.

Percy lifted his gaze higher.

Another slightly taller, and slimmer Monster clad in black was leering down at him. He didn't look like he was going to pull the trigger anytime soon and wanted to enjoy the time taunting the boy.

To prove his point, his smirk split into a malevolent grin.

"Well?" he insisted. "Do you?"

Percy didn't answer.

At the sound of a new voice, Jonathan stopped singing and tried pull up his hat.

"S-Sir, what is going–Hey!"

The Monster disguised as the Hunter turned and shoved his hand onto him to stop him from seeing.

"Not yet!" he said roughly and Jonathan froze. That was the first time he ever sounded upset and a part of him almost didn't want to hear what was happening. He continued to lift his hat anyway.

"But–"

"No! Keep singing!"

He whined again before he yanked the ends of his woolly hat tightly over his eyes again. Nico pulled Percy's hoodie lower over his head too.

He did not want to keep hiding, not anymore, but god forbid he blew Percy's cover... then he'd lose two people he cared about.

He pressed himself harder into the stone wall.

Kronos's hitman moved right and started to walk in front of the boy. He gripped the gold case with a tight hold but kept his gun still aimed at Percy. But when he finally got a look at Percy's face, his eyebrows lifted slightly. Percy's eyes landed on him and he scowled.

The Monster frowned.

"You look familiar," he commented suddenly and made his lips a tight line as he pondered on it.

Percy squinted at him.

"I've got one of those faces, buddy," he remarked coldly, still in his dark persona. "You're not that fucking smart."

But the hooded man shook his head. He started to tap the gold box on his chin as he kept thinking about it. It took all of Percy's control to not glance down at the treasured piece of Nico's memories.

"No... No, there's something about you, specifically," he mumbled. "Just can't put my finger on it."

As he said the last part, Nico watched him stroke the trigger of his rifle, and it made his insides churn like garbage and acid. This guy was a real creep and an absolute mon... Never mind.