Chapter 31: Good Luck, Y'Little Ankle Biter

OMFGs I AM SO FREAKING SORRY Y'ALL! I had a hellish summer and now I'm in college and it's been a seriously crazy past few months that I don't need to bore you with so here's the update and once again I apologize.

...

"Solider, shine on. With your conscience open. And the curtain folds in with the drums."

...

Percy Jackson... You've suddenly become more interesting to me than your name and record permits... I'm impressed...

To think all this time, a cruel thing like you actually worth of my time, has been searching the shadows for me while you were nothing but a speck on my radar. Almost invisible, really.

...then what? Disappear like the waves?

...just by your stance, that twitch on your mouth, and the curve of your fingers, I know more about you in ten seconds than dear Nico ever could in four days... You're afraid of losing something. You're afraid, period.

...you start to wonder if there's even a piece of you left to save. Any piece left even worth saving.

...you're afraid that if you get him too close, he'll either end up like anyone who came before him... or better, you're afraid he'll leave you once he realises how much of a mess you really are...

And see? I found it... That's what you're really afraid of... Of being all alone again with no one left to believe in you and everything you stand for.

...that look in your face? That cold? That's not bred, that's born. Straight from within you, after years and years of being felt alone in the dark... Just. Like. Me.

But more to the point, Percy... What did you do? And who are you, really? Because I think I have a clue.

...

PA-93 Interstate, Pennsylvania, 4:47 a.m.

With heavy hearts and broken windows, the Aston Martin continued down the interstate trying to beat to the sun. Hazel was glad (for like, about a second) once she realised that their bloody car chase had shortened their time expectancy. When she stopped the car so she and Nico could have their 'emotional breakdowns' they were about two miles east of Bloomsburg – that town was halfway between Trout Run (when their chase had started) and Long Island Sound. The drive normally took more than hour, but with the Monster on their butt, they'd gunned it in about 40 minutes!

So only one hour left to go... but this time, Hazel drove a whole lot more carefully.

The Aston Martin left Bloomsburg then drove and drove for another 50 miles. Hazel spent her time checking up on the Hunters news feeds and the status of the car. He'd have to do a lot of body work when she got back to The Labyrinth but the computers performed with perfection and that was what she was more concerned with. Nico meanwhile chewed every stick of gum he had left, sung songs in his head, and poked Percy in the face every time he looked at Nico with his dazed eyes.

Then finally, an hour and ten minutes later, Hazel exited the Interstate and drove on a long, winding ghost road.

That's when Hazel saw something the distance.

"Prince?"

And Nico pulled his head up from where it was squished against a corner to avoid the high winds. He pursed his lip thoughtfully as he stared at her eyes in the rearview mirror.

"I think we're coming up."

As the road curved slightly, it hit a large and beautiful beach that shone in the moonlight. The car drove alongside it and Nico looked across Percy to stare breathlessly through the left window.