Chapter 12: Burnin' Rubber and Chasin' Wind

Alley of the Ares's Den, 10:03 am

"Take my backpack."

"Oof!"

A second later, Percy kicked the steel door to the hangout open and flew out. Nico wheezed out a breath and staggered to catch his pack awkwardly when Percy rammed it into his chest. A second later they were both holding the balcony's railing looking down. A strong breeze flew up into their faces.

Nico shivered even though the warm, morning sun was shining down on his skin. He was thankful to be out in the light again and not in the closed quarters again...but the thought of an assassin (especially Kronos's) being right behind them, completely took over his senses. He gripped Percy's backpack tightly and opened his mouth.

"T-That plane's gate will close at least five minutes before it leaves," he muttered under his breath hotly as Percy looked down at all the parked cars. "We need to get there before 10:30, b-but from all the way here we'll never... Shit, Percy. What do we–"

Percy suddenly flipped over the railing.

"WOAH!" Nico cried out and instinctively reached out his hand to catch him but Percy was already falling thirty feet to a small open space between the cars. When he reached the ground he landed perfectly in a silent crouch and Nico's mouth flew open, wondering how his combat boots didn't make a sound. Then Percy pulled up and bolted to the left.

"Percy?!" Nico cried. "PERCY!" When he didn't look back, Nico ran a hand through his bangs angrily and shrugged on the backpack. In a rush, he clambered down the fire escape while he muttered to himself that Percy was a 'damn crazy legs' and would no way in hell take his more... creative route down to the ground.

Nico was huffing by the time he got onto the pavement and looked back at the door. Any second now Kronos's hitman was going to kick that door open too and fire shots or shoot a net at him like they did in those crazy tv shows to catch him–Vrrrrm!

10: 04 am

Nico spun his head and found Percy coming to a stop in front of him... on a sleek black motorcycle.

His mouth fell open as Percy pulled back on the right throttle to give it a little more gas but when Nico didn't immediately move, Percy glared at him and lifted the helmet he was holding.

"Prince!" he barked. "Come on!"

Nico shakily moved around a parked silver car and stepped up to the front of the slim motorcycle. Its engine was loud, like the deep purr from a lion and it looked expensive. His brown eyes bugged out of his sockets.

"Whe... Stop stealing people's–D-Do you even know how to drive it?!"

Percy narrowed his eyes at Nico as he steadied the motorcycle on one foot.

"Of course," he spat. "I'm a professional."

Nico couldn't help it. "Yeah, a professional pain in my–" Vrrrm!

Nico jumped when Percy pulled back hard on the throttle. He sent the prince a violent look.

"Get. ON." he snapped and Nico gritted his teeth but moved quickly to his side. He threw a slender leg over it. As he settled in the seat behind Percy and fiddled with the strap under his chin, Percy spoke.

"Have you ever ridden on one before?" he asked over the bike's surprisingly loud muffler. Nico shook his head.

"N-No." He had always wished he would get to one day...and somehow knowing that Percy could and Nico would get hold him...well, that just made his day. You know, minus the possible pursuit that might take place. Nico really hoped it wouldn't.