Chapter 10

"I have a question." I say, looking over at Joker. "What is it?" he asks, looking back at me. "Why did you save me?" I ask, looking into his eyes. "Well, for one, he was trying to steal one of my signatures. You know, the 'smile'. And second, I could tell there was something about you that was...different from others. Something...powerful." he says, turning back to his work. "Do you know how I got my scars?" he asks, smirking. "Yes. I've heard every story you've used to explain them." i admit. "Hmm..well..you know how I got my scars, so uh, I'd like to know how you got yours." he says, turning back toward me and looking at my arms. "You already know. I did it to myself." I say, looking at my feet. "Well, yeah I know that, but why did you do it?" he asks, grabbing my wrist and looking at the scars criss-crossing my arm. "Well, I have lots of reasons. My father abused me, he killed my mother, he called me a freak because of my powers he-" i say, a lump forming in my throat as I remember what he did. What he did to me, to my brothers...and What I did to him.
*Flashback*
17 yrs old
My brothers and I had just come home from school and walked into our house to find my father drunk, again, and laughing like a madman. He looks up when we enter and stares at me. "You're a freak." he says laughing. ""Yeah, yeah, what else is new?" I mumble, heading to my room. Suddenly he grabs me and forces me to look at him. "I wish i had killed you instead of your mother." he growls. I push him away from me and continue to my room. A few minutes later, I hear shouts and a loud crash from the living room. I run out of my room to find my father and brother wrestling on the floor. "You're just like her, aren't you? You're a freak, aren't you?" my father yells. Then I see the knife in my father's hand. "Dad! No! Get off of him, get off of Edward!" I scream, running toward them. "Emily, don't! I'll be fine!" My brother shouts at me. I'm almost to them when it happens, my father plunges the knife into my brother's stomach. "NOOOO! EDWARD!" I cry as my father stabs him once again. I grab my father and pull him off of my brother, sobbing. "Edward... I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry...I love you..I'm sorry." I say, grabbing his hand. "Em, I'm fine. I'll be fine. Its not your fault. Shh...don't cry. Its okay. I love you too. Its okay." he whispers, looking into my eyes, squeezing my hand. Then his hand goes limp, and the light leaves his eyes. I stand up and look around for Thomas, hoping he's okay, because I haven't seen him since we got home. I look in the kitchen and see him lying in a pool of blood. He's gone too. I grab the knife, which had fallen from my father's hand when I yanked him off Edward, and turn around, walking toward him. "I should have done this a long time ago." I say, years rolling down my cheek. "Emily...don't. You don't want to do this." My father says, staring at me. "Actually, 'Dad', I'm pretty sure I do. On second thought, I'm absolutely sure." I say, and with that, I stab him in the chest. Continuing until I know he's dead. Then I run. And I never look back.
*End flashback*
"He did what Emily? What did he do?" Joker asks, looking at me with a concerned face. I look into his eyes and I tear rolls down my face. "He killed my brothers.." I whisper.