Chapter 20

As I'm writing, there's a knock at my door. "Come in!" i shout. When I look up, I groan at the person in front of me. "What do you want Harley?" i ask, glaring at her. She squirms a bit at the look I'm giving her. "Well, I came to tell you Mistah J wants to talk to ya. But also, I heard him mumbling somethin about you liking Dr. Crane. Is it true?" she asks, giggling. I feel the blood rush to my face. "Well he is kinda cute, i guess." i mumble, getting up to go talk to Joker. "Ooo! You love Crane!" she squeals, jumping and clapping her hands. "Shut UP, Harley!" i growl, stomping my way to Joker's office. I knock on the door, "Come in." he says, giggling. I walk into his office, raising an eyebrow, with my arms crossed over my chest. He looks at me and chuckles. "What's so funny?" i ask, glaring at him. "Oh, nothing, you're just, uh, very, very red. And I have a feeling it's because you like a certain Doctor." he says, making my ears turn a bright shade of red. "What did you want?" i ask. His face turns serious suddenly. "I need you for a job tomorrow. We're crashing Bruce Wayne's party. I need you to keep an eye out for anyone who disappears around the time the Bat shows up. Got it?" he says, staring at me. "Yeah, yeah sure, but how am i getting in?" i ask, watching him doodle on a napkin. "We've got that covered. You have an invitation and you're on the list." he explains. "Okay, got it. Can I go now?" i ask. "Yeah, yeah, go." he mumbles, looking at the papers on his desk and waving his hand dismissively. I walk to my room and shut the door. What should I wear next Tuesday? We're just gonna be working on his toxin... I walk to my closet and start looking through my clothes. Hmm... I decide on my favorite Pierce the Veil shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. I stuff the two items into the drawer next to my bed. I sit on my bed as my door opens, revealing Joker. He walks in and closes the door, locking it. I give him a suspicious look, standing up and walking toward him. "What are you-" i begin, but I'm cut off by him cupping my face in his hands and pressing his lips to mine. I stand there shocked for a moment, before kissing back. He pushes me against the wall and begins kissing my neck. I close my eyes and bite my lip. He bites my neck, drawing blood, then runs his tongue over the mark, causing a small moan to escape my lips. I can feel him smirking into my neck. He mumbles something against my neck i don't understand. He continues sucking on my neck, finding my sweet spot. I moan again and he chuckles. "Bet Dr. Crane can't do that." he mumbles into my neck. I push him off me. "What?!" I growl. He glares at me, "I said, i bet Crane can't do that." he says, smirking. I glare at him, then i think of something. "Are you jealous!? Because I have a crush on Crane?! Is that why you came in here and did this? So i would want you instead of him?!" i ask excitedly. "No! I don't care if you like Crane. I just wanted to, uh, see how far you would go. And I'm sure if you hadn't heard me say that, you would have fucked me." he growls. My eyes widen in shock for a moment before i slap him. He glares at me for a moment, then raises his fist to hit me. I throw him against the wall and stomp out of my room, down the stairs, and out the door. I get into a random car and drive off, not entirely sure of where I'm going, just trying to get out for a while. I drive around for a while before deciding I'd try calling Jonathan. I pull his card out of my pocket and dial the number. After three rings, he picks up. "Crane speaking." he says upon answering the phone. "Hello, Jonathan. It's Emily...are you busy right now?" i ask, trying not to sound nervous. "As of right now, no I am not busy. Today is my day off and i do not have anything planned for the day." he says, i smile. "Do you want to, uh, hang out?" i ask, the nervousness seeping into my voice. "Hmm, well seeing as I do not have anything planned for today, I suppose we could." he states. "Cool, so do you want to meet somewhere or...?" i ask trailing off. "Are you at home? I could pick you up." he says. "No actually, I'm not at home. Something happened between the Joker and I that upset me, so i left." I explain. "Okay, where are you right now?" he asks. I'm at the coffee shop next to the GCPD building." i reply, chewing my lip. "Okay, leave your car there, and i will come pick you up. We can go to my place." he says. "Okay. Are you sure you want to hang out? You don't have to..." i mumble into the phone. "Of course i want to hang out with you. If i didn't, I would have told you so." he says. I smile, "Okay. I guess I'll see you soon." i reply. "I'll be there shortly, bye." he says, hanging up. Whenever he gets there, i climb into his car and smile at him. "Hi." i say, still smiling. He smiles lightly at me. "Hello." he replies. "So what do you want to do?" i ask, curious. "Well, in complete honesty, I'd like to know what between you and Joker." he states simply. "Oh, well after you left he got jealous because i may or may not have a crush on you, ao he started kissing me. Then he said something about you, so i pushed him away and he said just wanted to see how far i would go. He assumed I'd gave sex with him." i say it in a way that makes it sound like no big deal. "Do you?" he asks, smirking. "Do i what?" i ask, already knowing what he means. "Have a crush on me. Do you have a crush on me?" he asks, sounding nervous. I blush, "Yes.." i whisper. He chuckles a little. "Nice to know." he states. I smile a little. Could he like me back?

* Jonathan's POV *

She has a crush on me?! I just met her...

Maybe she's tricking you. Maybe she's trying to get under your skin.

I don't think that's it. She doesn't seem like the kind of person to do something like that, judging by the scars on her arms. Self mutilation. She's been hurt.

Or maybe she just likes the pain and the sight of her own blood.

I guess we'll find out..

"What happened to your arms?" I ask, glancing at her then looking back at the road. She looks down at her arms, then back at me. I can see the pain and shame in her eyes. "Self harm." she says, barely whispering. "I figured that out myself. What I'm asking is, why?" I say to her. She looks down. "I was bullied at school, beaten by my father at home. I watched him kill my mother and one of my brothers. He killed my whole family. It hurt me. I turned to this." she says, running a finger over her arm.
So it is because of pain.
She could be lying.
She's not, i can tell by the look in her eyes.
Whatever you say, Jonnyboy.

"Why did you become a criminal?" I ask. She looks up and half smiles, "Joker saved my life, so i decided I'd help him." she replies. I nod my head. She sure is something. Her eyes are changing color and Joker has talked about how she has powers...
Maybe she could help us. She could be very useful, Jonnyboy.
She thinks she owes the Joker her help. We'd have to convince her otherwise.
We can do that. It's simple, just show her that he could turn on her at any moment.
We can try, but not now. Soon, but not now. And what if it doesn't work?
Then she must be as stupid as Harley.
True
"We're here." i say, turning off the engine. She smiles, "Nice place." she says. "Mhmm." i mumble, unlocking the door and letting her inside. I wonder how she would react to the Fear Gas..
Let's find out, Jonny. C'mon, It'll be fun.
Not right now. Maybe soon.