Ch 35: Demented Real Life Chess Game

Vega POV:

Wulf slept peacefully next to me on the deep purple sheets.

I debated smothering him with the shiny gold decorative pillow.

Did he seriously think I would be okay with all of this? He kidnapped me again! And this time he threw me on a boat and drove 200 miles away! And then he framed me for murder.

No one in their right fucking mind would be okay with that.

But I needed him to let me out of this room if i was going to shove him overboard and drive back home.

Therefor I needed to smile and act like someone who wanted him, not wanted him dead.

I leaned down and practically purred in his ear, "beowulf its time to wake up angel face."

His lips tugged up at the corner, one eye cracking open, "if you think thats going to get my guard down so you can oh I don't know shove me overboard and drive home. Think again. Sexy though, feel free to keep purring at me like that."

I gaped at him, "I would never!"

"Oh yes you would, its why I like you. You would shove me into the ocean and run away with the file, bringing it to your dad and ending this. And you would be happy, for a while at least."

I frowned. "A while? I would be rid of my problems."

"Am I really a problem to you Vega or would you wake up a week later and miss being tangled in my sheets, the feeling of tattoo pens and kisses tracing your skin?"

"You said it yourself its like an addiction I would get over it. You dont actually mean anything to me."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

He hummed, "you dont sound so determined princess."

I grit my teeth, "I wouldn't miss you Wulf. I wouldn't miss being another pawn in your demented real life chess game"

He tugged a lock of my wavy hair between his finger, chuckling a bit, "a pawn? Oh Vega you insult the both of us, you are no pawn. You are the peak of this game, the key to my victory. You see if this was really a real game of chess I of course would be the king, who unfortunately has limited movement although considered the most important piece in the game." He rolled ontop of me, caging me in with his arms, "and you would be the queen, the key to my victory, the piece that could move across the board with ease. Often an easy distraction to keep someone from checkmating me."

Oh my god.

"Wulf...the night we first met. Did you know who I was."

He laughed, "no hawaii I didn't but I was very pleased to discover your origins. Do you remember what I told you when I was first trying to get you into bed with me, the latin phrase?"

Okay now I was lost. Where is this conversation even going, "Uh yeah?"

"Do you know what it means?"

"No."

He smiled charmingly "Good. You will find out in due time but for now lets keep it that way."

"Why?"

"Because you are not done with your half of the bargain. Rather than be angry at me why not let me finish this game and go our separate ways?"

"Because you seem like the kind of chess player to sacrifice his queen in order to get to the opposing teams king." I paused, "Wulf...who exactly are you playing against?"

He stared down at me, golden features shadowed in the dim lighting, "you are such a curious creature Vega. You really should try caution sometime."

Great. He was avoiding the question. He wants me in the dark for whatever this is, "Im not a creature and cautious people rarely get answers because they never ask. Who are you trying to beat? Your dad? Mine? The police? Some family rival? The whole god damned world? I wouldn't put that last one beneath you. Im sure you would try it. So who Wulf?"

He didn't say anything for a long moment, "I wonder."