Sirius

Hays can finally walk without a brace. It's about a week since the splint was taken off and we are all in the common room late one night, talking and listening to the girls records. Haley squeaked as a song came on and she made me dance with her. It wasn't really forced but I allowed her to think it was.
*****
I loved the way her head tipped back as she laughed at my mistakes. I loved the way she got frustrated with me for not knowing a proper waltz. And how she blushed and pushed me away when I complimented her. She's driving me mad, I can't get her out of my head. All week, the only thing I could think of was how I was going back to the house or to meals to see her smile and hear the laugh that rings in my ears. I'm in love. And it's terrifying me.

"Sirius! Did you hear me, chum?" "No, sorry. What'd you say Remus?" It's the day after we danced in the common room and I can't get my mind off of it.

"It's dinner time, mate. Let's go." I get up after Remus and Sydney and follow them from the potions classroom. Haley wasn't in class, she got sick at lunch. I would've stayed with her but she made me promise that I would go to class.

We all hurry through dinner and run to the common room so that we could be able to help Hays. I still wonder why she got so distracted by that nickname.
*****
We all are circled around the fire, talking and enjoying our time when Haley grabs the nearest hollow object, a flower vase, and hurls. James groans and I jump into action. I pull the flower vase away from her. Patting her back, I carry her upstairs. I leave her in the room to change into a pair of pajamas as I wait outside. She slips out of the door and I lead her back downstairs. We all help her settle in on a couch, ensuring she won't use their room as a quarantine. While everyone heads off to bed, I run her head, falling asleep on the floor next to her.
******
I hurl for the third time. I flush the toilet and run cold water over a towel, placing it on my forehead. I had felt good for awhile and then around midnight, I lost my stomach and felt like a bloody mess. Now, Haley and I have been staying in the common room as to not keep anyone else up. I come back down to see her curled up, staring at the fire. I sit down next to her and she cuddles into my side, burning up with a fever as well. She hands me a potion and I swallow with questioning what it might be. I lean back on the couch and she has her ear right over where my racing heart is. I take a few deep breaths as I try to stop the blush from coming as she looks at me with a knowing smirk. I pet her hair as she settles in and dozes off. I observe her peaceful state in my arms and begin to fall asleep as I tighten my grip on her waist.

I wake up to feel the cold around me. Frowning, I sit up and run my eyes. I look at the fire and see that Hays is putting a few more logs on it. Smiling, she turns around and notices me up. She walks over and sits down, giving me a peck on the cheek. She settles in and wraps her arm around me. I feel better, must've been from the potion Hays made in the middle of the night.

Hays yawns, "I got us out of class today, Sydney and Remus were our alibi. We need the rest anyways." I nod as she pulls a blanket over herself on the seat next to me. I slip my feet under the blanket and we share the blanket as we talk about school work and when we might be able to go on a first date.

I suggest we sneak out and she of course refuses. We decide we will have a picnic on Saturday, most likely the best choice for us. I sigh as she yawns and curls up, dozing off.I was hoping to talk to her about what has been going on with her mind. She keeps daydreaming and shaking herself out of it after terrifying me and her. She had anxiety attacks more often lately, passing them off as needing to go to the restroom or forgetting something in the dorm. No one else except for her family and I know about her anxiety and past depression, Sydney doesn't even know. I always follow her back to the common room where she lets it out on a pillow, screaming into it or punching it until she's feeling better.

What could be so bad that she wouldn't even tell me. I'm most likely the closest to her. Can't she trust me?

I shake the negative thoughts from my brain as I focus on the present, my girl sleeping peacefully for the first time in awhile. "What's going on in your pretty head all the time," I ask her quietly, knowing I won't get a response. I slowly get up, kissing her on the head as I walk over to the nearest desk, picking up my half-done essay for Potions. I write a few more sentences before she begins to sob. I hustle to sit down and collect her into my arms. She wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me closer, hiding in the crook of my neck. She's so frail here, tucked in my arms and her body wracking with sobs. Hays finally begins to calm down and I stop petting her hair, finally relaxing a bit. I sigh and lean into the couch, her balancing on my chest. She wraps around my chest and begins to breathe more slowly, finally resting without having an anxiety attack. I stare at the top of her head for awhile as she snuggles into my chest. I kiss her forehead before trying to doze off myself.
****
I wake up to the sound of Hays' voice panicking, "Sir, get up! Come on!" I shake my head to clear the fogginess left and feel her grab my hand. I'm finally aware of the shaking that's happening as she yells, "Earthquake." Haley pushes me under the coffee table and climbs in after me. I pull her close after seeing the terrified look in her blue, green eyes. I hold onto her while the earthquake continues for a few more seconds and then it's over. We wait a few seconds before climbing out. Nothing seems to be damaged but the few people in the house during their free time seem shaken as they come out to investigate. We all shrug and continue on. Haley and I go back to sitting on the couch, silent. She sends me a look and then leans in quickly, kissing me on the lips. I stare wide-eyed at her before finally wrapping my arm around her waist, the other finding the back of her neck. Her arms are draped over my shoulders and I find myself wanting more. I pull away, gaining an inch of self control. She whispers, "One day you'll know why I'm terrified of a relationship." And with that, she curls up in my arms once again to fall asleep.

Terrified of a relationship? What does that mean? What could be so bad that she would be scared to be mine? Sighing, I pull her closer and kiss her forehead. I guess I'll find out when she wants to tell me. Just like she did the time she told me about her being an animagus.