1.3

CHAPTER THREE

Step right up and lift the mighty hammer!

- - - - -

NEW MEXICO

Phil Coulson pulled up at the crater's edge. Ana removed her seatbelt and opened up her door, joining Phil as he stood at the edge. She took off her sunglasses and examined the scene. It looked like the whole town turned up. There were locals sitting on lounge chairs, drinking beer, laughing and talking. They watched the centre of the crater, where men have formed a line to take a turn with the mysterious object in the ground. It looked like nobody could move it.

Phil took his phone out and pressed the button, dialling Director Fury's number. "Sir, we found it." He spoke into the phone as Ana crouched down, taking a pair of binoculars and looking at the object. She frowned, it didn't look like standard machinery that would usually fall out of the sky. It looked more like a hammer.

Ana stood, searching her pocket for her badge. She pulled it out and checked it. Agent Ana Michaels, S.H.I.E.L.D. She raised her eyebrows when Phil started walking down the crater's edge, towards the locals. "Phil! Wh- Uh, okay." She ran back to the car, grabbed her handgun just incase, and followed Phil down.

Once they were close, Phil started waving his hands trying to get the attention of everybody. Ana rolled her eyes as they all ignored him. She thought they would stop since they were dressed in suits, Ana having a more casual look with her aviators and leather jacket. She then whistled loudly, gaining the attention of everyone.

She took the megaphone out of the hands of the supposed show runner that passed her and handed it to Phil. He took it with a grateful nod and faced the crowd. "Hello, everybody if you could all clear the area, this is now a government situation." They pulled out their badges and showed it to the locals in unison.

"That right there," He pointed to the hammer in the centre, "Is a radioactive satellite which you have blindly touched. Now you all have been warned, make sure anyone who plans on coming here knows of the situation and stays clear. Thank you for your cooperation." He dropped the megaphone and smiled.

The crowd stood there with dumbfounded looks on their faces. One man in a plaid jacket and a cap walked forward, beer in hand. "If this is a government situation, how come y'all just arrived? This thing was here for days." The man asked before spitting on the ground, shooting Ana a smirk.

Ana restrained herself from rolling her eyes and clasped her hands behind her back, clenching her fingers. "We were held up, sir. Now I suggest you pack up and leave, before I make you." She warned, giving a sweet smile to mask the hostility she felt. Phil looked on smiling. Natasha must have taught her that.

Ana nodded her head at the locals, "Now, please." She called out and they all practically sped away from the scene, packing their things and driving away.

"Nice one." Phil nodded.

She laughed and pulled out her phone as Phil looked around the crater. "Want me to give the go ahead, sir?" She asked as he walked towards the hammer.

He turned his head to face her and nodded. "Yes, please. We need to make a perimeter around this thing, it doesn't look like we can take it with us." He replied back. She nodded and did as she was told. After calling base, she joined Phil and looked at the metal hammer.

"What do you think this is? Some sort of technology?" Ana asked.

Phil shrugged and rolled up his sleeves. "More like an alien artefact. We picked it up after finding atmospheric disturbances in the area. At first we thought it was a subtle aurora, but the electromagnetic signatures were off the charts." He informed her.