3.11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I Got Distracted

- - - - -

DUBAIAUGUST, 2010

DUBAI
AUGUST, 2010

The Dubai summer was unbelievably hot. Ana was sure if she used a whole can of antiperspirant, she would still sweat. She settled in jean shorts, a white v-neck and sandals. She had to meet up with the granddaughter of an ex-Soviet scientist and a few of her friends. Ana had to be undercover as an American tourist, and since the granddaughter, Isla, was making extra money as a tour guide, it was the perfect setup.

Fury asked her to try and get some information on Isla's family. Being an ex-Soviet scientist's granddaughter had to involve some shady business in the family. Ana thought it was something one of the more experienced agents at SHIELD would be more capable of but Fury wanted her to have more experience. And she wasn't allowed to say otherwise.

Ana exited the Burj Khalifa, the famous Dubai building and took a taxi to the beach. Once she got to the beach, she noticed the large amount of people and the music being played. Everyone danced around, having a fun time in the heat.

After paying the taxi driver, she quickly walked to where she saw Isla and a few of her friends down at the bar. She gave them a grin and waved, sliding next to Isla.

"Hey! When did this happen?" She questioned, nodding her head at the large crowd.

Isla nodded her head along with the music, "I think it's someone's birthday. Wanna drink?" She asked in her slight Russian accent. Ana nodded her head and watched as Isla ordered waters with lemon.

Kate and Alex, Isla's friends, downed their drink and grinned at each other. They turned back to Ana and Isla and pointed at the blue water, "We're going to swim for a bit, it's way too hot!" Kat exclaimed with a giggle and dragged Alex away, yelling out a 'see ya'.

Isla chuckled and sipped at her drink. Ana thought that this was the perfect time to ask about her family subtly.

Ana leaned with her back against the bar, her elbows on the table as she sipped her icy cold water and cleared her throat, nodding at Kate and Alex. "So, is it just you guys out here?" She asked.

Isla kept her brown eyes on the crowd as they danced and nodded, "Yeah, just us three. We have a small holiday before going back to school. Our families are back at home." She replied.

Ana furrowed her eyebrows falsely, "Russia right?"

Isla smirked, turning her gaze to Ana. "It's the pale skin and accent, yes?" She laughed, gesturing to her unusually pale skin amongst sun kissed ones.

Ana laughed along and nodded her head, "Yeah."

Isla smiled, "I have lived in Russia my whole life, I was eager to leave and start school somewhere more warm." She explained. Ana thought it was going smoothly until a random dude in the crowd tipped his head at Isla.