3.9

CHAPTER NINE

Bye Soldier

- - - - -

After dropping off some food for Sam at the hospital, Ana took a walk in the park

After dropping off some food for Sam at the hospital, Ana took a walk in the park. Steve was still recovering from his injuries, Natasha was at the Department of Defence, Maria took a job at Tony's company, and Nick Fury was somewhere unknown to her.

She smiled at a few kids running around in Steve's uniform, their little hands holding plastic shields. She sat down on a bench at the quieter end of the park, looking at the water fountain in front of her. Ana had no idea what she was going to do now. SHIELD was gone, she was no longer an agent, therefore no longer apart of something.

She always had the idea that she was meant for something greater, joining SHIELD did it for her because she was helping people. Her abilities, she still didn't know how the hell she got them, maybe it was genetic or a mutation. Now that she was no longer busy, she could look for answers. She heard of a school for gifted youngsters, maybe she'd stop by and look around.

Ana felt the weight of the bench lower, signalling someone sat next to her. She looked over to the right side, widening her eyes. Bucky was sitting down with a cap over his head and he was wearing normal clothes, a backpack at his feet.

"What the hell? What are you doing here" She asked, keeping her voice down, "You're supposed to be half way to Australia by now."

"I couldn't leave, not yet." He replied, shuffling closer to her and putting an arm on the back of the bench, behind her head. He had to seem as normal as possible.

Ana looked at him, frowning slightly, "Is this about Steve?" She asked.

"Captain America believes me to be someone I'm not," Bucky said, "But he doesn't know all the things I've done, the horrors I've committed." His metal arm creaked as he pull his hand into a fist.

Ana put a hand on his arm, "It's not your fault, that was all Hydra. You were brainwashed by them, constantly being put away like a toy until they had use for you." She told him, "Steve wants to bring you back, the real Bucky Barnes. His best friend." She whispered, removing her hand to place on her lap.

"I should punish them, every man that did this to me." Bucky said, "They made me do terrible things, they're responsible." Ana's eyes darted to his bag and looked back at him, "You know where they are." She stated.

He nodded and she turned to face him, making him look into her eyes. Ana gave him a look, "Bucky, you don't need any more blood on your hands." She said, "I was thinking about leaving to find some answers, find someone who can help me with recovering my own memories. You should come with me." She said.

Bucky stayed silent, he then sighed and shook his head softly. "Looking for answers would only invite trouble, Ana. I have my own path I need to take. And I can't have you with me when that trouble comes." He told her.