Chapter 17

~* Kasumi's POV *~

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" I screamed, covering my fox ears tightly.

Tomoe sighed in annoyance, "Kasumi, stop being so stubborn."

"I can't' hear you! Lalalalalalala!"

How did we end up like this? Well, long story short, I woke up in the dungeon of the Dragon King's palace with Tomoe much to my inconvenience. His stupid actions are becoming such a pain in the ass. Why do I have to suffer with him? Just because I'm his sister, doesn't mean they can do this to me as well!

"Don't you want to hear what happened to Ami?" my brother shouted over me. I snapped my head towards him, eyes wide. I never did know what happened to her. I slowly uncovered my ears.

"Oh, now you're listening?" my brother asked sarcastically. I glared at him in return, "Just tell me what happened to her."

The dim lights that were the only source of brightness down here suddenly went out, engulfing us in complete darkness. I squeaked in fear, grabbing the nearest thing near me. Of course it was Tomoe...

I clenched onto his kimono tightly, burying my face in his chest. He knew why I was scared of the dark and what had happened. My brother let out a sigh and patted my head comfortably, awkwardly wrapping his arm around my trembling body.

"You still haven't gotten over it?" he asked softly.

I whispered shakily in reply, "How could I?"

Tomoe sighed and stroked my fox ears. I purred in reply, not being able to control the animal part of me. It really does suck whenever you have demon fox instincts.

"You were only seven years old when it happened," Tomoe said quietly. I nodded, letting him continue.

"It was almost midnight, the full moon was out, and it was breezy outside. You were outside, playing with your toys while I was inside, sleeping. Another yokai attacked and I still regret not being able to do anything. He kidnapped you, tortured you in complete darkness. You couldn't even fight back because he did it with no light, not allowing you to see anything. What a pathetic creature he was."

I hummed in agreement, "And of course, my big brother came to the rescue."

Tomoe scoffed, "Like I had a choice. You would have killed me if I didn't come."

I smirked, "True."

There was a moment of silence. We were still huddled together, no source of light visible. Why did the lights go out in the first place?

"I saved her," he suddenly stated. I raised my head to look at him, his slitted purple eyes visible in the dark.

"Ami, I rescued her because Nanami begged me too. I couldn't refuse a command from my mistress."

My eyes widened in surprise. I really didn't think he had the guts to do it. Does this mean he really does care about Nanami?

Of course he doesn't. He just did it because of the God's sacred binding words, making him follow her commands no matter what, the rational side of me interjected yet some part of me hoped, ever so slightly, that he somehow cherished her... no matter how small.

"By the way, just because I am speaking to you doesn't mean I forgive you," I muttered defiantly. He nodded while combing his fingers through my hair softly. It was times like this, where Tomoe would comfort me, brought so many memories from when we were little. I always wondered what had happened to our once strong relationship. It became weaker when... I....