Chapter 25

~* Tomoe's POV *~

"What the hell do you mean my sister is missing, you damn tengu!?" I snarled at Kurama. The festival had just concluded, Nanami's kagura dance finishing it off beautifully.. Only to be ruined by this.

"I turn back for a second and she's gone! I've searched everywhere!" he panicked, brushing his fingers through his hair, it already messy from him doing it repeatedly.

"Shit, it must have been Ookuninushi," I cursed, knowing that persistent god would do anything to get what he wants. He must have taken her during the festival. This is why I had those all mighty creatures.

"Wait, what does another god have to do with this?" he demanded, eyes narrowed.

I was surprised he didn't know, "she didn't tell you? Okuninushi has been infatuated with her for a while."

"No, she didn't tell me this at all," he said through clenched teeth, eyes blazed in anger but beneath that, he was just worried, as am I. She can be quite reckless sometimes.

"I know where his shrine is. Let's take Mizuki's snake, it shall bring us there quicker," I rushed, about to take off when someone hidden in the shadows leaped towards me and held my kimono tightly. My eyes widened. It was Nanami.

"Take me with you! I want to save Kasumi too!" Nanami said, worry filling her eyes.

I immediately protested, "You are staying here. Ookuninushi is a stronger god than you, much more powerful. I will not allow you to be in harm's way."

I might have lost my sister once again. I cannot bear to lose my mistress... If I lose Nanami too, I don't think I would survive. 

"Kasumi is my friend! I am going whether you like it or not," she said firmly, her voice powerful enough, locking me in her sacred word because of the familiar contract. I had no choice but to bring her along.

"Fine, let's go."

~* Kurama's POV *~

As we reached Ookuninushi's shrine on Mizuki's snake, we hid behind the large trees, seeing that the place was heavily guarded.

"I will take care of the guards. You go," Mizuki ushered, his green slitted eyes darkening, whispering foreign words before all the snakes in the forest stood behind him, all ready to attack by his command.

"Thank you, Mizuki," Nanami smiled, the snake yokai blushing. From the corner of my eye, I could see Tomoe glaring at him, jealousy present in his eyes.

As the snakes slithered towards the guards, their fangs pierced their skin, venom shooting from their fatal bite. The others coiled their scaly body around them, squeezing them to death.

"Go, now!" Mizuki ordered.

We ran into the shrine while the guards were distracted. My eyes widened at the sight, having to shield myself from the heat. There was fire, everywhere. Red fire engulfing the shrine. How could we have not seen this from outside? Dead people lay on the ground, burn marks etched on them, their face frozen in a painful grimace.

"Fox fire," Tomoe observed, shielding Nanami with his kimono, "It must be Kasumi's."

"We have to hurry before this place tears apart!" she squeaked, the heat making beads of sweat form. Humans were quite sensitive when it came to a yokai's fire.

"Nanami, I think it'd best if you stay behind. You cannot handle such blazing temperatures," Tomoe said worriedly. She shook her head stubbornly, "Let's keep going. I'll be fine."

We searched the place, dodging the crumbling ceilings and the relentless flames. The shrine was too large, I don't know if we will make it in time before this building falls apart. I shook the doubts from my head. She will be fine. She is Kasumi, after all. She will be fine.

Nanami coughed, the smoke entering her lungs. Her familiar tried to help her but she stopped him, continuing the search for Kasumi. I have to admit, she is quite determined for a human.

But before long, Nanami collapsed, not being able to go on. Tomoe held her in his arms, looking up at me and spoke, "You go on. It is my duty and my first priority to my mistress's health I'm afraid. Please find her."

I nodded, "I will find her."

He nodded back before turning back around, walking away. It was just me now.

"Ookun, over here!"

My eyes widened at the familiar voice heard in the distance. Kasumi! She's near! I ran to where I heard it, almost getting crushed by the debris that fell. The flames became more and more unbearable, almost as if I was headed to the source of the fire. Why is Kasumi here? She should be far away from here, not running towards the danger!

That is when I saw her, in the midst of the flames. Her eyes held so much hatred as she reached out and yanked Ookuninushi by the hair as he tried to escape from her. She looked up, gazing at the crumbling ceiling above her. My eyes went wide in horror, realizing what was about to take place.

My black feathered wings pushed the air around me, pushing me forward towards her. The ceiling gave way. I reached out for her, screaming in despair, knowing it would be too late.

"KASUMI! NOO!!"

The debris and rubble fell on top of them, completely burying them. I frantically clawed my way through to her, desperately calling her name in hope for an answer.

"Kasumi! Kasumi!"

My hand felt someone's hand. I had felt and held this hand more times than I can count. This is Kasumi, I know it. I pulled her from the rubble, a sigh of relief leaving my lips, my arms wrapping around her tightly, embracing her. A tear left my eye. I had never been so scared in my life.

I lifted her up, hearing the faintest heartbeat coming from her body. I just hope it wasn't too late. There were burn marks all over her legs. Cuts and bruises ran along her body. I could see blood seeping from her kimono on her abdomen and I knew there was a large gash there. But nethertheless, I was just glad she was alive.

I pushed the strands of hair that fell onto her angelic face, smiling, 

"Let's go home, Kasumi."

Vote, Comment, Fan :)