Chapter 22

"What the hell do you mean 'Nanami ran away'!?"

I screeched into the phone, yelling at my idiot of a brother, "what the fuck did you do this time? I swear if you hurt her-"

"Do you know where she is? Answer me, Kasumi!"

I stopped as I heard the desperation in his voice, the vulnerability. He had already been abandoned by his previous god, Mikage and that truly did hurt him. I don't think he would survive if Nanami disappeared.

I sighed, "I haven't seen her, Tomoe."

"Damn," he cursed.

"I'll meet you at the shrine and we will conduct a search, okay? There's no need to worry," I said softly, trying to ease his fears.

"Ha, Nanami can't protect herself at all. What are you talking about? I should be panicking. She is an airhead and humans are so fragile, they break so easily. I can't lose her," his voice dropped to a whisper at the end.

I was surprised to see him this worked up over over her. I smiled as I immediately knew he had feelings for Nanami. Otherwise, he wouldn't be like this.

"Yes, she may be an airhead but you know how capable she truly is. She may be human but remember she is also a God. Nanami will be alright, Tomoe. Just stay put and wait 'till I get there. Don't do anything stupid in the meantime."

"Thanks, Kasumi."

I hung up. Kurama was currently at his concert so I couldn't ask for his help. Taking out an enchanted leaf, I kissed it and whispered foreign words. Mist started to form around my body before I whisked away.

I appeared in front of the shrine. My eyes widened at the sight in front of me. I had to cover my nose from the horrible stench. The air was filled with toxic miasma, and everything seemed dead. I spotted Mizuki throwing purifying sake, it temporarily beautifying it but its effects wore off quickly. It was practically useless.

My brother saw me and rushed over to my side.

"What's going on?" I questioned.

"It just appeared out of  nowhere. I told Nanami to stay inside and said she was not needed because she wasn't strong enough to purify the air. Next thing I know, she's gone," Tomoe explained.

I whacked him across the head, earning a wince. "Baka! Of course she ran away! You practically called her incompetent by saying she wasn't needed. Baka! Baka!"

"-Now, let's go search for her in the village," I said, him nodding in agreement. We both took off, running at an inhumanly pace, the shrine growing farther and farther away.

Before long, we reached the village, standing on top of a large building, staring at the humans below us.

"Fox fires, find Nanami!" Tomoe ordered, emitting the blue flames that darted off into different directions. He had such a dark expression on his face but I knew that underneath it, he was just worried for the one he cared about.

"I'll search on the ground," I said, then leaped off the building. I landed on fours, people gasping at me from practically jumping off a tall building and surviving. I ignored them and started my search, hoping Nanami was alright.

Being a god, Nanami has a certain aura and I could easily pinpoint her location but for some reason, I couldn't sense her presence. Something was blocking its uniqueness. She must have used a talisman to do this.

With something blocking her aura, she could be almost impossible to find. All I could settle for was calling her name and hope she heard me.

"Nanami! Nanami!"