Chapter 24

~* Kasumi's POV *~

-- Flashback --

The building burned to the ground, screams of pain and anguish coming from it. The sound was silenced as the debris fell, their death marking them. I watched with sinister eyes, the brightness and red colored flames amusing me.

"Please, stop!" A woman crawled at my feet, begging me pathetically. She had deep cuts and large bruises everywhere, fatal burnt marks etched across her arms. She grabbed the bottom of my kimono tightly, weeping and sobbing, her tears staining it. I growled in disgust as she got dirt of my clothing.

"Attack her," I ordered, my voice cold. Foxes darted from the forest and barreled straight for the woman. She screamed as they lunged forward, vicious canines bared. She was soon silenced, the sound of her flesh tearing sickening. She had died.

I watched with empty eyes at the burning villages and corpses. My humanity was nowhere in sight. All I felt was hurt and betrayal. My lover had left me. My heart was shattered. I feel no remorse for all the people I had killed.

My lips curled in a smirk.

Who cares? I am a fox demon, a wild vixen, an evil yokai, after all.

-- Flashback End --

The bold flames in front of me remembered me of the time of my cruelty. I had killed people and for no good reason, simply because I wanted them to experience to pain I felt.

The door that kept me locked in burned into ashes, the fire consuming everything in its path. I had no control of it now. Fire can never be controlled, only started. I had been the one to light the match.

The people of the shrine screamed and yelled in panic. Some cried out in pain, not being able to escape the wild beast burning everything down in time.

I tried to shake off the feeling of regret and guilt, their screams and cries similar to the villagers I had killed with my fox fire. Pushing away these thoughts, I concentrated on the situation in front of me.

Running hastily, shrine guards tried to stop me. I dodged each one of their attempts to grab me and kept going, trying to find the exit. Flames chased after me, only making my legs run faster.

"Shit, shit, shit, this was a really bad idea," I cursed to myself, moving to the side to dodge a flying guard coming for me and to escape the fire that was getting closer to my skin. I could feel the intense heat and the terrible smoke that made me cough and wheeze. Looks like I'm going to die here because of my own stupidity. This is it for me.

Kurama's face flashed in my mind. I can't die here. I have to see him again. No matter what, I will live to see his charming smile and to feel his butterfly kisses. I have to survive. No matter what.

With tears pricking my eyes from the roaring flames and the thick smoke that blinded me, I stumbled around, desperately trying to find a way out. Where the hell is it!? This shrine is way too damn big!!

I screamed as I tripped over something, falling hard onto the ground. I winced upon impact. I gritted my teeth in pain, knowing I had twisted my ankle.

Great, just fucking great. Just what I needed. A broken ankle! Like this wasn't already hard enough!

Getting up, I glanced behind me to see what I had tripped over. My eyes widened at the sight. I had fallen over a shriveled up corpse, burnt marks running along its entire body. I gulped in fear, knowing that is what I will look like if I die here.

The flames kept getting closer and closer. I limped as fast as I could, cursing at myself for choosing such a dangerous plan. Stupid me, why couldn't I have chosen something where I actually come out alive!? Tomoe was right, I really am a dumbass. What the heck was I thinking!? Stupid.. Stupid... idiot

"Kasumi! Kasumi!"

Ookuninushi's voice called my name. My vision was blurred, smoke only in my sight. I could tell he was close.

Should I run towards him? Perhaps I could survive. He is a god after all. He could protect me. I could actually live.

But I chose to run away. All I felt was burning anger for the god for kidnaping me and taking me away from Kurama. I have to stop him here and now so other female yokai wouldn't have to suffer like I did. I made a promise to myself. I vowed I would have him dead and the only way I can do that is to lead him deeper and deeper into the sea of flames.

"Ookun, over here!" I yelled, running as fast as I could, leading him into a trap. The heat of the fire increased, almost to the point where it was unbearable. But still, I went on, determined to pull this off.

I stopped running and turned around. A silhouette of a man came towards me before I could finally make out who it was. It was Ookuninushi, his eyes filled with worry but soon held relief as he saw me. He stepped towards me.

"Come on, let's go," he ushered, reaching out.

"If I go down, you're coming down with me," I snarled, glaring heatedly at him.

He looked confused for a moment, opening his mouth to ask something but never got the chance to. The ceiling above us gave way, crumbling on top of us. I had led him into this trap and had succeeded. He tried to escape but I grabbed his hair and yanked him towards me, clenching it tightly. No way in hell am I letting him go.

Even though I will die, I know I deserved it. All the people I had killed... I need to be punished. They were daughters and sons, mothers and fathers, friends and families... and now they're dead. Because of me and my temper. I can finally fulfill the consequence of taking innocent lives because of my ignorance. Their death for mine. Simple as that.

"KASUMI! NOO!"

Kurama?

I felt pain before everything went black. 

Vote, Comment, Fan :)