21

( NARCOTICS )

      Sam is sitting at a motel desk, going through files with Elena. There is a knock on the door; he opens it to find Ballard; he hesitates, she shrugs and comes in. Ballard shows Sam her wrists. "These showed up after you saw it?" Sam asks.

      "Yeah, I guess."

      "All right. You're going to have to tell me exactly what you saw." Sam says.

      "You know, I must be losing my mind. You're a fugitive. I should be arresting you." Ballard turns to Elena. "Not so much you."

      "All right. Well, you know what? You can arrest me later, all right? After you live through this. But right now you've gotta talk to me. Okay?" Sam asks and she nods. "Okay, great. Now, this spirit. What did it look like?"

      "She was, um, really pale, and her throat was cut, and her eyes, they were like, this deep dark red?" Ballard recalls. "It appeared like she was trying to talk to me. But she couldn't. It was just...a lot of blood."

      Sam shuffles through some papers. "You know what? Here. We've been researching every girl that's ever died or gone missing from Ashland Street." He leads her over to a table, where he gathers up a stack of crime scene photos.

      "How'd you get those? Those are from crime scenes, and booking photos." Ballard says.

      "You have your job, I have mine. Here. I need you to look through these, tell me if you recognize anyone." Sam says.

      Ballard sits and flips through the stack. On the third photo, a young woman's booking photo, she stops. "This is her. I'm sure of it." She says.

      "Claire Becker?" Elena asks. "Twenty eight years old, disappeared about eight or nine months ago."

      "But I don't even know her. I mean, why would she come after me?" Ballard asks.

      "Well, before her death, she was arrested twice. For dealing heroin. You ever work narcotics?" Sam asks.

      "Yeah, Pete and I did. Before Homicide." She says

      "You ever bust her?" Sam asks.

      "Not that I remember."

      "It says that she was last seen entering 2911 Ashland Street. Police searched the place, didn't find anything. Guess we gotta check it out ourselves. See if we can find her body." Sam says.

      "What?"

      "Well, we gotta salt and burn her bones. It's the only way to put her spirit to rest." Elena says.

      "Of course it is."

ASHLAND STREET
[ ☾]

      Sam leads Ballard and Elena into a Dark And Creepy Warehouse. "So what exactly are we looking for?" Ballard asks.

      "I'll let you know when we find it." They split up, Sam and Elena checking up a flight of stairs and Ballard continuing on the lower level.

      She turns towards a window and sees Claire, standing by the window. The ghost struggles to talk. "Sam? Sam? Sam!" Ballard yells.

      As Sam and Elena run down the stairs to Ballard, the ghost disappears. "Hey! Hey, I'm here, what is it? What happened?" He asks.

      "Claire..." Ballard starts.