23

( DEALS, DEALS, DEALS )

ROSEDALE, MISSISSIPPI
1930

CROSSROADS
[ ☾]

      Robert Johnson's "Crossroad Blues" plays in the soundtrack as the man himself kneels in the dust at the dead center of the crossroads. He buries a rough sack tied with a string. He wears a hat and a brown blazer and has a guitar slung around his back. He stands.

      Suddenly behind him is a beautiful young woman in a white dress; he turns and sees her. "Holy..." Robert starts.

      "Holy?" She asks as her eyes burn red. "Guess again." She walks slowly towards him on bare feet.

      "I want to play guitar. I want you to make me the best blues man ever lived." Robert says.

      She places a hand gently on his cheek. "If that's what you want." He nods. She smiles.

      "So...how do we...do we shake on it?" Robert asks. She shakes her head, still smiling, and pulls him in for a deep kiss.

      When she pulls back, his eyes are closed for a moment. He opens them slowly, and he is alone. He pulls his guitar into his hands and caresses it.

PRESENT

CROSSROADS
[ ☼ ]

      "So it's just like the Robert Johnson legend, right? I mean, selling your soul at the crossroads, kind of deal?" Sam asks.

      "Yeah, except that wasn't a legend. I mean, you know his music." Dean says and Sam shrugs. "You don't know Robert Johnson's songs? Sam, there's, there's occult references all over his lyrics, I mean, Crossroad Blues? Me And The Devil Blues? Hellhound On My Trail?"

      Sam frowns, and Dean rolls his eyes. "The story goes, he died choking on his own blood, he was hallucinating, and muttering about big evil dogs."

      "And now it's happening all over again." Sam says.

      "Yeah."

      "We've gotta figure out if anyone else struck any bargains around here." Elena says.

      "Great. So we've gotta clean up these peoples' mess for 'em? I mean, they're not exactly squeaky clean." Dean says. "Nobody put a gun to their head and forced 'em to play Let's Make A Deal."

      "So what, we should just leave them to die?" Sam asks.

      "Somebody goes over Niagara in a barrel, you gonna jump in and try to save 'em?" Dean asks.

      "Dean."

      "All right. Fine." Dean says. "Rituals like this, you've got to put your own photo into the mix, right? So this guy probably summoned this thing, let's go and see if anyone inside knows him. If he's still alive."

DARROW HOME
[ ☼ ]

      Sam, Elena and Dean are walking up a set of wide, wooden stairs to the fourth floor of an apartment building. "What's this guy's name again?" Sam asks.

      "George Darrow. Apparently quite the regular at Lloyd's. Though this house probably ain't up next on MTV Cribs, is it?" Dean asks.

      "Yeah. So whatever kind of deal he made..." Elena starts.