41

( THAT'S NOT SAM )

      Sam is sitting at the computer desk, staring at a page in his hand; Dean and Elena bustle around behind him, cleaning up. "How do you erase this? Huh? Sam, come on, I need your help." Dean says.

      "I killed him, Dean. I just broke in and killed him." Sam says.

      "Listen to me. Whoever this guy is, he's a hunter. Which means that other hunters are going to come looking for his killer, which means we've got to cover our tracks, okay?" Dean saysSam.

      Sam holds an envelope. "His name was Steve Wandell. This is a letter from his daughter." Dean looks from Sam to the letter, then makes a decision.

      He grabs the CPU, lifts it above his head, and smashes it to the floor, stomping it with his boots for good measure. "Wipe your prints, then we go."

MOTEL ROOM
[ ☼ ]

      Sam precedes Dean and Elena into the motel room. "All right, we get a couple hours sleep and then we put this place in our rearview mirror. Look, I know this is bad, okay? You've gotta snap out of it. Sam, say something!" Dean yells.

      "Just get some sleep and leave in the morning? Murder, Dean. That's what I did." Sam says.

      "Maybe." Dean says and Sam scoffs. "Okay? Hey, we don't know... shapeshifter!"

      "Oh, come on. You know it wasn't, you saw the tape. There was no eye flare, no distortion." Sam says.

      "Yeah, but it wasn't you! All right? I mean, yeah, it might have been you, but it wasn't you." Dean says.

      "Well, I think it was." Sam sits down on the bed. "I think maybe more than you know."

      "What the hell does that mean?" Elena asks angrily.

      "For the last few weeks I've been having... I've been having these feelings." Sam says.

      "What feelings?"

      "Rage. Hate. And I can't stop it. It just gets worse. Day by day it gets worse." Sam says.

      "You never told me this." Dean says.

      "I didn't want to scare you."

      "Well, bang-up job on that." Dean says.

      "Dean, the yellow-eyed demon, you know he has plans for me. And we both know that he's turned other children into killers before, too." Sam says.

      "No one can control you but you." Elena says.

      "It sure doesn't seem like that, Dean, it feels like no matter what I do, slowly but surely I'm, I'm just becoming..." Sam starts.

      "What?"

      "Who I'm meant to be. I mean, you said it once yourself, Dean. I gotta face up to who I am." Sam says.

      "I didn't mean this!" Dean yells.

      "But it's still true. You know that. Dad knew that too, that's why he told you, if it ever came to this..."

      "Shut up, Sam." Dean says.

      Sam looks helpless. "Dean, you promised him. You promised me."

      "No. Listen to me. We're going to figure this out. Okay? I mean, there's got to be a way, right?" Elena says.