26

( NO ESCAPE )

BLACKTOP
[ ☼ ]

      Dean pulls up behind a wrecked car with Oregon plates that read "WTF 4C7"; he stops to investigate, carrying a gun. The windows on the car are smashed and blood covers the seats; on the ground by the driver's side is a large bloody knife. He picks it up.

CLINIC
[ ☼ ]

      Sam is leaning against a counter, staring at the body of Mr. Tanner. He begins pacing while Elena leans on a wall. Dr. Lee is nearby, looking at something in a microscope. "Huh." She says.

      "What?" Sam asks.

      "His lymphocyte percentage is pretty high. His body was fighting off a viral infection." Dr Lee says.

      "Really? What kind of virus?" Elena asks.

      "Can't say for sure."

      "Do you think an infection could have made him act like that?" Sam asks.

      Dr Lee moves here eye from the microscope. "None that I've ever heard of. I mean, some can cause dementia, but not that kind of violence. And besides, I've never heard of one that did this to the blood."

      "Did what?" Sam asks.

      "There's this...weird residue. If I didn't know better I'd say it was sulfur." She says.

      "Sulfur."

BLACKTOP
[ ☼ ]

      Dean drives along the road to a bridge, which is blocked by a roadblock consisting of several cars and a half-dozen locals with guns. One is Jake. He stops the car, frowning.

      Something bangs down on the roof of the car and he jumps; a man leans over into frame. "Oh-ho-ho." Dean says. He didn't want anyone touching his baby. "Hey."

      "Sorry. Road's closed." The Man says.

      "Yeah, I can see that. What's up?" Dean asks.

      "Quarantine."

      "Quarantine? What is it?" Dean asks.

      "Don't know. Something going around out there."

      "Uh-huh. Who told you that?" Dean asks.

      "County Sheriff." The Man says.

      "Is he here?"

       "No. He called. Say, why don't you get out of the car and we'll talk a little?" He asks.

      Dean laughs nervously. "Well, you are a handsome devil, but I don't swing that way, sorry." He says.

      "I'd sure appreciate it if you got out of the car, just for a quick minute." The Man says.

      "Yeah, I'll bet you would." Dean puts the car into a quick reverse; the Man grabs his collar and is dragged along. The men at the roadblock begin firing, and Dean swings the car around, shaking the Man off and zooming away.

CLINIC
[ ☼ ]

      Sam and Elena are staring intently at Beverly, still huddled on the stool in the lab. "I don't understand. Are you saying my husband and Jake had a disease?" Beverly asks.