52

( HOLLYWOOD )

WOODS
[ ☾]

      A young girl, Wendy, is exiting an abandoned house. She is searching with a flashlight, clearly scared. "Mitch? Ashley? You out here? Come on, guys! Where are you? Hello? Hello? Brody!" She screams.

      Brody storms over to her. "Ashley and Todd - they're dead! Wendy, they're dead!" He yells.

      "Brody, pull it together."

      "Pull it together?! We don't have a chance, okay? We have to get out of here now!" Brody yells.

      "No, Brody, we are not leaving. We have got to find my sister."

      "No! No, I am getting out of here right now!" He runs off in the other direction.

      "Brody! Brody, get back here! Brody! God, you son of a bitch!" Wendy hears movement behind her and stops crying. When she turns, she lets out a long, loud scream, but quickly begins to look annoyed.

      It is revealed that the girl is on a movie set. A camera is in her face, with a tennis ball fixed to the top, representing the monster she's supposed to be screaming at. She stops screaming, looking disgusted.

      The director, McG, watches from the sidelines. "Cut! What the hell was that?" He asks.

      The lights come up on the set. A props guy takes the flashlight from the actress playing Wendy, Tara Benchley. A production assistant, Walter Dixon, hands Tara a Snapple. "Here you go."

      "Thanks, Walter." She says.

      McG walks over to Tara, who is shaking up her drink. "It's all good, Tara, that was great. Let's do it again. Uh, maybe try dialing up that scream, huh?" He says.

      "I know. I know. I'm just... I'm having trouble with the tennis ball." Tara says.

      "Oh, that is just for CG registration. Now, when Ivan and the FX guys are done, it is going to look terrifying. Do you wanna look at the concept sketches again? Will that help?"

      An assistant brings over a notebook full of sketches of the monster. "No, that's okay. I'll find it, I'll find it." Tara says.

      "I know you will, pumpkin."

      A set worker walks. "Going again, everybody! Ten-minute reload for camera and sound!" Tara sits in her chair by Rick, the actor playing Brody.

      Another set worker, Frank, is talking to them. "Oh, man, I'm telling you - working alone behind the sets, or after wrap? I catch this weird vibe sometimes." He says.

      "Oh, like what?" Rick says.

      "Like something's watching."

      "Come on." Rick says lamely.

      "Hey, working on a movie like this? Weird crap is bound to happen."

      Rick turns to Tara. "Frank here thinks the stage is haunted. Like, for real." Tara laughs.

      "All I'm saying is, they call wrap, I'd get done, and I'd get out of here. Fast." Frank says and walks away.

      "That guy is definitely off his meds." They laugh.

      Later, Tara is standing in the middle of the "woods", going over her lines. "Brody, come back! You son of a bitch!" She tries practicing the scream, but she can't quite get it. "Brody, come back! You son of a bitch!"