27

( INFECTION )

      "This is my vision, Dean. It's happening." Sam says.

      "Yeah, I figured."

      "You can't kill him, all right? Not yet. We don't know if he's infected or not." Sam says.

      "Well, I think we're pretty damn sure. Guy shows up out of nowhere, he's got a cut on his leg, his whole family's infected?" Dean says.

      "All right, then we should keep him tied up, and we should wait and see." Sam says.

      "For what? For him to Hulk out and infect somebody else? No thanks, can't take that chance." Dean starts to push past Sam, who stops him with a hand on his chest. "Hey look, man, I'm not happy about this, okay? But it's a tough job and you know that."

      "It's supposed to be tough, Dean. We're supposed to struggle with this, that's the whole point." Sam says.

      "What does that buy us?"

      "A clear conscience, for one!"

      "Well, it's too late for that." Dean says.

      Sam stops him again. "What the hell's happened to you?" He asks.

      "What?"

      "You might kill an innocent man, and you don't even care! You don't act like yourself anymore, Dean. Hell, you know what? You're acting like one of those things out there." Sam says.

      "Mm-hmm." Dean pushes past Sam a third time; Sam tries to stop him again but Dean hurls him against the far wall.

      He goes back into the hall and locks the door behind him. "Hey!" Sam rattles the lock. "Open the damn door, Dean! Don't do it, Dean! Don't!"

      Dean is now in the hallway from the vision in the Teaser. He drops the clip out of the gun and taps it against the butt, then replaces it. He opens the door to the lab and shuts it behind him; Duane is tied to the chair and Mark, Pam and Dr. Lee stand nearby.

      "No, you're not gonna...No, no, I swear it's not in me!" Duane yells.

      "Oh God. We're all gonna die." Pam says.

      "Maybe he's telling the truth." Mark says.

      "No, he's not him, not anymore."

      "Stop it! Ask her, ask the Doctor! It's not in me!" Duane yells.

      "I...I can't tell."

      Duane begins sobbing. "Please, don't. Don't, please. I swear, it's not in me, it's not in me, I swear, I, I swear it's not in me. No, don't."

      "I got no choice." Dean says.

      The moment stretches on: Dean pointing the gun at Duane with his finger hovering over the trigger, Duane sobbing, the others watching in tense silence.

     "Dean!" Elena yells and steps in front of him. "Think about what you're doing."

      "I know what I'm doing." Dean says.

      "No you don't. You're about to kill a man in cold blood." Elena says. "And I know you don't want to do it, so just lower the gun Dean."

      Dean trembles, hesitates, and finally lowers the gun with a grimace. "Damn it!" Duane pants in relief as Dean leaves the room.