18: Leverage

(I do not own most of the characters in this story. Most of them belong to MARVEL. Also, I do not own any of the music, references, and videos I may use in this story. Full credit goes to the rightful owners.)

The building collapsed into a cloud of smoke. The citizens of New York ran in terror. From what you ask? The answer: no one knew. "Can we please change the channel?" James spoke up from the brown chair. "This is depressing."

"This is happening a couple miles away." Emily snapped.

"Well it's depressing." James said as he got up from his chair and reached for the remote. "And shouldn't The Avengers be doing something about this?" He pointed to Steve and Emily.

"I'm not an Avenger." Emily said.

"Oh right, I forgot you're a-"

"James." Sharon warned. James threw up his hands in defense. Steve was staring at the TV as if waiting for something to come out at him. He was twisting the watch on his wrist. The captain suddenly stood up from the sofa. The blonde walked away from the living room, opened the door to a room, and walked inside.

Emily watched him in confusion. She stood up to follow him, but Bucky grabbed her wrist. "Since when has that closet been a walk in?" She almost shouted. "It's not a closet." Bucky tried to calm her down. Emily studied him, she was making sure he wasn't lying-he wasn't.

Emily always assumed it was a closet. She never went in there, she had no reason to. It wasn't her business. It wasn't even her closet. It's not even her house. It was Sharon and her dead husband's house. Steve, Bucky, and Emily just moved in there.

Steve came back from the room in full uniform and carrying a black vest. His blue eyes held pain in them. He gave Emily the vest and said, "Put this on."

"What is this?" She asked as she struggled to put it on, it was heavy.

Steve opened his mouth to say something, but couldn't find the words. Until he said, "It's a bullet proof vest." Sharon was about to say something to Steve about how Emily doesn't have to go out and fight, but she saw his face of agony as he watched his daughter put on a vest that was twice her size.

Bucky walked over to Steve. "Are you sure about this." He nodded toward Emily. "She should stay here and I go out there with you."

Steve shook his head. "If anyone comes here I need you to protect them."

"But what if something happens to her?" Bucky whispered.

"Emily won't leave my sight." Steve whispered back.

"Now what?" Emily asked as she came up to Steve and Bucky. The black bullet proof vest looked a bit weird on the pale blonde.

"We save people." Steve said.

-

Steve and Emily made their way to the city and found Tony, Lucy, Clint, Nate, Thor, Torun, and Julia.

"Where are the Banners!" Steve shouted over all the commotion.

"Not here!" Clint shouted back. "They can't get here in time!" Suddenly another building fell quite close to The Avengers.

"Cover your head!" Steve yelled as he put his shield over his and Emily's head.

"What is the plan?" Thor yelled. "We do not even know what is going on here!"

"Save as many people as you can! Get them away from any danger!" Steve shouted. "Tony, Thor," He looked at the metal man and the god. "Fly around here, see who's doing all this!" The two flew off around New York. "Clint you and I stay down here, save people, and keep an eye on them!" The blonde captain nodded towards the children.