9: A Break From The Chaos

https://i.gifer.com/4kmB.gif.

A FEW WEEKS LATER

A FEW WEEKS LATER

Considering how desperate the witches had been to find Davina and finish the Harvest, they were sure taking their sweet time in accepting my offer of a talk when I reached out to Sophie and 'Sabine' with the news of Davina's decision. So far, I'd experienced nothing but silence, almost wearing a hole in the library's carpet from pacing, it was driving me insane; the not knowing, the second guessing, the fear--

A giggle disturbed my spiraling mind.

I turned to the study entrance with a frown, nearing the hallway overlooking the compound's main square when another giggle bounced around the open space. I paused in the doorway, struggling to tamper my smile when I saw Elijah attempting to teach Davina chess. The Original had finally caved to the request she'd pestered him about for at least three days. Her opponent, Marcel, had a grin just as wide--nostalgia clouding his features from what I could only assume was when he used to play with Elijah as a child. Rebekah was pretending to play on her phone from another chair by the stairs, her and Marcel exchanging heated glances whenever they believed no-one was watching.

Davina had taken a shine to the eldest 'living' Original in our city as soon as he offered more opportunities for her to look into his mothers spell books, preferring to read with him and ask questions of his human life whenever he wasn't aiding her developing knowledge. She was a bit more cautious of Nik and Rebekah, but seeing Marcel and I be at ease around the duo helps her tolerate them. Besides, so long as me or Marcel are around she knows she's safe, and always has someone to turn to. Josh was an almost permanent fixture at her side unless Marcel needed him to do any jobs around town, both vampires barely spending a day away from the compound since our Claire witch had decided to go ahead with the Harvest.

I turned away. Feet guiding me toward my bedroom in search of a distraction, an attempt to not worry about the witches for at least an hour today...

My new home had gained a new soul with the Originals appearance, each day bringing an exciting variety of joy; if Rebekah wasn't stealing me away to the kitchen to feed me and gossip, then Elijah hovered close to my shoulder with wry smiles and concerned eyes--the man filling me with a feeling of safety that I'd started to treasure. He'd even offer leadership suggestions, and possible tweaks I could make to the constantly developing supernatural treaty I was struggling to establish... I'd seen Nik a smattering of times, the Hybrid leaving me to ensure Davina's comfort and spending most of his time in the room he'd dubbed his new art studio. The rare chances when I would see him; my heart threatened to run away from me with every glance and teasing smirk, the way his eyes followed me around the room almost like a caress had me wanting a whole lot more than friendship.

Laughter filled the halls, smiles met me at most corners, I'd officially carved out a little home for myself here and I already knew I wanted it to stay like this forever--