10: Witch Coven

https://i.gifer.com/E3ih.gif.

I threw up after Marcel revealed our deadline, blaming the reaction on my recent pregnancy nausea that had followed me through the last couple of weeks

I threw up after Marcel revealed our deadline, blaming the reaction on my recent pregnancy nausea that had followed me through the last couple of weeks. My brain refuses to admit my nerves on meeting with the witches and failing in charming or convincing them to follow along with my plans. I think Klaus saw through my fear, though I was grateful when he didn't say anything about it. He just held onto me, soothing me through the cramps in my stomach and playing the part of my lifeline.

"I'm not leaving your side," he argued when Marcel tried to usher me into his car and take me to my 'appointment'.

My refusal almost hurt to say. The need to have him close by after such a wonderful night, after admitting our feelings for one another, was strong. I didn't want to be separated from him, yet I knew the witches couldn't be trusted and if they wanted privacy then I'd be an idiot to refuse them. I cared about too many people to risk playing with fire right now.

"They might let you wait outside the cemetery," I tried to placate him, Marcel's rigid nod confirming they only specified me being alone inside the sacred grounds. "But I need to face them alone, Nik. I need their trust."

He took in my pleading expression, grip on my waist tightening before his spare hand stroked my cheek. "Promise me you'll call out to me if you need help."

"Klaus—"

"Promise me."

My nod was shaky at best, the lie tasting sour on my tongue, "I promise..."

The atmosphere of the looming cemetery was suffocating, fog clinging to the approaching path as my grip tightened on Klaus' hand. Our car slowed to a crawl, a familiar witch standing at the entrance gate to my meeting and setting off a new bundle of concern to flutter around my stomach.

"This is as far as we can go," Marcel glanced back at us, worry marring his face.

"Thanks," I reached forward to squeeze his shoulder, halted in leaving when Nik's touch refused to pull away. I cupped his hold, "I'll be fine, Klaus."

"You can't be certain of that."

"No, I can't," I admitted on an exhale. "But I can be certain of how much I have to lose if I allow them to push me around. So, I'm gonna negotiate the best deal I possibly can in there, and if for one second I think mine or our babies life is at risk then I will show no mercy." His eyes widened with wonder at seeing a glimpse of the beast beneath my skin again, "And I don't expect you to show them any either."

His lips twitched upward with the threat of a smirk, a millennium of bloodlust flooding his bones. "This city will rain blood if they dare cross you," a sick and twisted calm filled me with his vow.

In the past, bloodshed and guilt had been a constant in the back of my thoughts.

Whether I was hyper focused on the lives I'd failed to save, or deceptions I'd have to carry out to kill who I deemed to be the 'right' people to fulfill the plot. Killing for the sake of it was never something I advocated, and besides the vampire that turned Elena, I never took a sick thrill in any of my victims. Even the man that triggered my werewolf curse didn't offer me any satisfaction, his death causing more inconvenience than elation.