16: Yes?

https://i.gifer.com/5l7i.gif.

"What the fuck are you doing?"

He frowned at my harsh tone, "Proposing?"

"What--Why?!" I finally moved, reaching for his arm to force him back on his feet.

The Original was unamused, "Because I want to spend my immortal life with you."

"But why?" I dragged a hand through my hair, "Listen, I don't know if you think you're doing me a favor by offering me this so legally me and the baby are good in case the witches fail in eliminating your enemies."

"Sweetheart--"

"But it honestly just feels like you're mocking me, Nik."

He caught my forearms, pausing my frustration. "The last thing I want to do is mock you. Why would you even think that?"

"Because I don't get why you'd want to do this..." my throat bobbed with the voice break. "You're Klaus Mikaelson; you've had armies turn away from you in fear, explored every inch that this world has to offer in over a millennium of life. You're incredible..." I sniffled, "And while I understand your feelings for me, I'm not dumb enough to think you've never felt like this for anyone else before--for other immortal beings. What if I never turn, Klaus? Why would you tie yourself down to a mortal wolf when from what I've seen you've never even considered marriage before?"

"Because for the first time in my existence I've met someone I couldn't envision my life without," he answered without hesitation. "This isn't some moral obligation to our child, or passing fad I'm entertaining myself with until something 'better' comes along. You're the one for me, Angel...You're all I want until I take my last breath."

I chewed my bottom lip in worry, "And if I stay mortal? What if I die one day, what will you do then?"

"I'll live out the rest of our daughters days with her, and if she should also choose to never turn then I'll find a way to end myself--"

"No!" My eyes widened in panic, "You can't do that."

"I can do whatever I please, love," his smile cut deep, the feeling of his fingertips brushing hair from my forehead making my eyelids flutter. "And that's exactly why I'm choosing to do this now. You make me feel more human than when I was actually alive, and I want to marry you because of that, no other reason." A sudden flash of doubt soured his expression, "Do you not wish the same with me; marriage, a child, normalcy?"

"I do!" My nod was eager, "I swear, I want nothing more than to have that life with you. I just don't want you to commit to something you might regret." He raised a brow at my words, "Marriage is the end of the road for me, Nik. I know you can get annulments and divorces and it's probably a silly question in the realm of the supernatural and beings that'll live forever, but when I get married they're gonna be the love of my life. We're it for each other, no-matter how long our lives are. I've seen too many loveless commitments not to follow through on that, I want forever with that person, Klaus."