17: Warnings From The 'Dead'

https://i.gifer.com/Z7xp.gif.

A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER

DREAM

"Wake up." I jumped with the voice, instantly regretting my body springing into an upright position. The room was spinning, my palms digging into my eye sockets to slow the world down. "I'm glad to finally meet you," I tried to face the figure a second time, stumbling to my feet and grabbing the sofa I was passed out on for support. "Well, more so speak with you than actually meet you." I blinked away the blurs, the eight or so moving images collating into a single ginger figure, perched on a chair beside the library's fireplace.

"Esther?"

Her lips pulled up to form a small smile, "Hello, Angela."

"W-what?" I searched the empty room, finally noticing the blue hue it had taken on. My steps tried to gain distance, panic freezing my veins. "How...?"

"Please don't be afraid--"

"Are you kidding me(?)" I found myself scoffing. "I've seen you go to every length possible to kill your children, to end the lives of people I hold dearest to me. What part of that would make me believe you don't want to harm me also?" I tried to find an exit, but besides the room's window, all the doors had been replaced with a solid wall. I was trapped. "Where are we?"

"That is irrelevant right now--"

A snarl built in my chest, the little progress I'd made from the witch ruined when my anger pushed me forward. "For all I know, you're plotting to kill me and my unborn child to get back at your kids. I don't care about what is and isn't relevant, if you don't want me to be scared of you then tell me what the fuck is going on!"

Her eyes narrowed in assessment, a sigh escaping her when she noted the burning of my eyes; it seemed my persona was out to play. "As the witches of New Orleans have already shared with you, yours and Niklaus' future daughter is very powerful. Not only has she strengthened your connection with your old reality, allowing you to see further into this world's future than you were originally capable of, but she has also lightened the barrier between our supernatural afterlife and yourself."

"So, what? You're breaking through to get back to your body?"

Her lips twitched with humor, "That's not possible, sadly. The only way my spirit can be reunited with my body is if your Bennett friends complete the spell of their ancestor, until then I'm stuck there. All the breaking down of the Other side's barrier between us and you does is allow powerful beings to visit your dreams."

"So you can only see me if you're super old, and super powerful?"

"Yes, I'm afraid," if I didn't know any better, I'd say her expression winced with sympathy. "Gloria was never at the status to succeed in something like this."