14: Rumination

https://i.gifer.com/5ArR.gif.

THIRTEEN DAYS LATER

THIRTEEN DAYS LATER

'Hi, this is Elena's phone. I'll get back to you soon, but feel free to leave a message after the beep.'

My palms were sweating with nerves.

'This is Caroline! I'm obviously super busy right now, but I'll call you back as soon as I can. Leave a message if it's oober urgent.'

I was trying my hardest not to panic.

'Hey, it's Bonnie. Leave a message so I know why I'm calling you back, or text me to make both or our lives easier.'

I huffed and pushed my phone away.

I'd been trying to call anyone I could get my hands on in Mystic Falls for almost a week, and besides the girls' voicemails and the most blunt; "Hi, I'm busy, bye--" conversation Damon could muster, they'd been MIA.

I had nothing to really be worried about. Plot wise; I'd left them in the most protected position I could. So, unless they'd magically stumbled across a new big bad that I had absolutely no clue about, they were purposefully avoiding me and it cut through my gut like a knife. They were my first family, my home away from home, the safe-haven I'd wrapped myself in before I really knew what it felt like to be safe. Just because I'd left didn't mean I wanted to live without them.

Was this my fault? Did I ignore one too many phone or video calls? Had I blanked any of their messages to me? I know I'd kept my pregnancy from them, but that was only because I didn't think it would be the easiest conversation to have miles away from each other. What if they'd found out and hated me for it? I mean, I was knocked up by someone they'd previously fought against. Just because Klaus had tried to make amends didn't mean they'd support him being a permanent fixture in my life--

A knock against my office door made me jump, "Sweetheart?" Speak of the Devil...

"Yeah?"

He pushed his head through the gap, smile faltering when I struggled to hide my distress. "What's wrong?"

"I can't get in touch with anyone from Mystic Falls and my mind is spiraling," I admitted with a sigh.

"Oh, love." He glided across the floor, perching himself on the arm of my chair and pulling me into his side. I was a willing captive, the tension draining from my muscles when the comfort of his scent hit me. "I'm sure they're just busy. I remember you saying that their college classes start in a week or two, they're probably just preoccupied."

"And Damon?" I grumbled into his side, my tone taking on that of a petulant child.

"Now, be fair," that one took a bit more of his strength to assure me, the bite of jealousy from mine and the ex-vampires past still lingering in the Hybrid's tone. "He's been very busy renovating the bar and home he bought for himself and Miss. Gilbert. Besides, now that he's human, I'm sure he has more concerns that fill his day compared to when you were last around him."