Chapter 9

Chapter:20 from bad to worse

(in Gia's dream)

Gia found herself looking at a sleeping uninjured Alex as well as a sleeping other Gia. Before Gia could register what was happening she saw a shocked Ben walking to the sleeping Gia. At that moment Gia realized that she was having a dream and that no one could see her. She could only watch as the memory played out as she had remembered it. But before Gia could follow her dream-self and dream Ben she turned to see that Alex had woken-up and noticed the dream her was gone and up in the tree with Ben and began to walk in the direction with Gia following him. Gia watched as Alex saw the dream Gia and Ben kiss. Gia now knew that Alex had seen her and Ben kiss that night. She could see the heart beck in his eyes as he walked away.

(End of dream)

Gia bolt upright and saw Alex still unconscious but the cubs no were to be seen. But when she went over to where they had been sleeping, she saw a note scratched in the dirt.

Dear, mom we left to find the penguins so they can save dad. If we are not back in five days and dad starts to feel tired DON'T LET HIM GO TO SLEEP! Do whatever you can do to keep him awake. Lie to him, make him angry. Just don't let him go to sleep if he gets tired later. We will try to return soon and save dad

Signed A.J., Bella, Serena, and Ryan.

Gia nearly fainted, with the new knowledge of where her cubs were.

(Meanwhile)

The cubs, led by Alex Jr., had been searching the wood all night for the penguins with not a sign of them. "Alex, we have been looking all night can't we take a short break? My paws are killing me." Asked Bella. Alex Jr. turned to them. "No we can't, we need to keep looking. I know the penguins are near here somewhere." said Alex Jr.. "Alex, just face it you have no clue were the penguins are. Also what makes you even think they could save dad, they are crazy." Said Ryan, getting a little angry. Suddenly they heard a voice behind them. "Well these crazy penguins recued you all yesterday from Caption Dubois on Madagascar." They all turned to see the penguins. The penguins all had small cuts and bruises and some had a black eye, but were otherwise ok. "What do you need?" asked Skipper

(Back at the zoo)

Gia had shone her parents, brother, and (as much as she hated it) Ben the note. As her parents and brother tried to calm and get her to stop crying her, Ben sat the same tree he had kissed Gia in talking to himself. "If the cubs find those penguins, then the lion might live. I have to stop them, but how?" After a little thinking he looked at his claws and got an idea. "I know what I must do, I must kill the cubs before they can save their father and make it look like an accident. Then with both the lion and cubs dead, Gia will fall in love with me again." Ben then climbed down the tree and walked to edge of the exhibit and climbed out. Sharpening his claws, as he followed the cub's scent into the forest. Unknown to him someone had heard what he had said. Someone who had just woken-up to find himself bandaged, his cubs nowhere in sight, his mate crying next to her parents and brother, and fear in his mind what Ben was going to do to his cubs.

(Meanwhile)

Alex Jr. had just finished telling the penguins what had happened to the father at the zoo. "... I couldn't stop all the bleeding in his stomach and liver. I estimate he only has five days left to live unless an operation is performed. I you think you can save him?" asked Alex Jr.. Skipper turned to Kowalski and asked. "Kowalski, did we bring operating tools?" "No we didn't they are still in my lab on the train. Which should be hundreds of miles away by now." Said Kowalski. "But can we get to the train in less than five days and return in time to operate?" asked skipper. "Yes but it will be close. But we need to start walking now if we are to make it." Replied the penguin. Skipper turned back to the cubs. "Alright, you four cubs follow us. We might need you help during the trip. The cubs felt a little more relived, they had a chance to save their dad.