Chapter 14

Chapter: 14 Just a runt.

Before his siblings or Adora could say anything, Alex Jr. raced onto the cart roof. Since the train wasn't moving, the other cubs easily joined him. "Guys just leave me alone." Said Alex Jr., with his back to them. "Alex, you're not a runt." Said Ryan. He didn't turn but he said. "If I'm not a runt then why am I the shortest of you all? Why are you all stronger than me? It has been this way ever since we were born." They knew they he was right about being a runt, and were at a loss for words. "Alex just because you're a runt doesn't mean your useless, you know how to read, fight, and are smart as Kowalski." incurraged Serena. "Just because I can read words on a page and I can knock out Ben doesn't make me smart." Alex Jr. sighed and continued. "Most of the time, when a runt is born they are very weak and only live a few days. The few who do live, like me, are screw-ups and weak. Half the time in the wild, the pride a runt is in will abandon, scare off, and even kill the runt because they are useless. Ever since I realized I was a runt when I was a little cub, I have tried to change this fate for myself and lying to myself. No matter what I learned or achieved I never could change a thing. Just like any other living runt I am useless." At that Bella snapped and told them all a secret she had learned when she was small. "Dad was a runt." Alex Jr. turned to face them. "Stop lying." "I'm not lying. When we were little, mom told me the secret dad had told her when they dated. She made me sware not to tell you, because I could make you feel sad. Dad was born the smallest cub in his pride and now he is taller than Ryan. Ever since you we born, you were dad's favorite and he knew you were special." Alex Jr. looked for a hint she was lying, but he saw none. All sadness then left him and was replaced with pride. He was just like his dad when he was his age. "Thanks Bella, all of you are right. I may have caused this, but maybe that means I can fix it." Alex Jr. said. His siblings felt relieved to have the old Alex Jr. back as they returned to the cart. Alex Jr. was about to join them, when he noticed Adora standing behind him. Before he could say a word Adora run up to him, dipped him and kissed him. When she pulled away she said. "Sorry, I just had to." She then joined the other cubs.