Chapter 22

Meanwhile near the reserve)

Ben was running for his life with Dubois and other animal control officers following him on trucks. Dubois was about 35 feet behind Ben and stood in the back of the truck firing tranquilizer darts at the jaguar. Dubois had already hit Ben dart once and now she was just waiting for the feline to fall asleep. The only reason the Dubois hadn't captured Ben yet was because of the thick brush of the jungle that slowed the vehicles. Ben, as he ran, kept himself awake by muttering to himself. "This is all for Gia. This is all for Gia." However the tranquilizer was beginning to blur his vision. About then was when in the distance he heard Alex's roar, signaling him to return to the reserve. The cat turned as fast as he could and he jumped in the jungle. Dubois gritted her teeth knowing that the trucks couldn't follow him in to the dense brush. Without waiting for the vehicles to stop, she jumped from the truck and started to run after Ben. Not far ahead, Ben was looking Gloria, Melman, Marty, and Adora to help him get back to the reserve. Sadly that was when he fell to his knees and then his stomach due to the tiredness. Just as his was about to close his eyes when he saw what looked to be Gloria running towards him. As soon as she saw him she turned around and yelled. "Guys I found him." That was when he blacked out. Marty, Melman, and Adora were quick to arrive and join the hippo. Gloria bent down and picked up the cat, turned to the others, and then the group took off. Meanwhile, Dubois was following Ben's sent and that was beginning to catch up to him. Gloria, Melman, Marty, Serena, and asleep Ben then reached the small fence of the reserve's border. To their relief, they saw Alex, Vitally, Alex Jr, and Serena were waiting for them still holding the sleeping saved family members. They crossed the fence and looked at Alex. "What happened to him." asked Alex, as he looked down at the cat. "Animal control just got a little too close to him...." Marty was sadly interrupted by Serena's frightened scream. "Dubois!" she yelled pointing at the jungle. Dubois emerged from the brush clutching a rifle. She then saw Alex and grinned. "End of le line lion." Dubois was about to fire the rifle, but just then the other animal control officers arrived and saw what she was about to do. One rushed over and prevented her from firing. "You fool what is the matter with you?" she yelled at the officer. "They are in the reserve, legally you can't harm them." Dubois turned and saw Alex and the others were already ran off.