Chapter 3

Max

I felt a familiar shiver that I get when I have the urge to self-harm, I easily gave into them as my demons screamed, "Why would she adopt a failure and a mess of a bitch like you?!" In the end, I made deep red gashes on my arms until there was no room left on either of them. They started bleeding really badly so I cleaned them and pulled my hoodie sleeves down, the hoodie was fleece so I didn't think that they would bleed through.

I put my blades away and just as I'd started to cry again, I heard a knock on the door, followed by Demi's voice.

"Sweetie, can you open up? It's just me." I felt my heart sink in my chest and my breath hitch in my throat, but I didn't have any fight left in me so I opened up the door a. Demi scooped me into her arms while I cried uncontrollably.

She stood up and went to take me out of my room, I can't go back out there, Katie will be waiting for me... She'll hurt me.

Demi

As I went to go out of Max's room, she clung to me tighter and started taking raspy breaths, "I can't go out there, she'll hurt me!" she cried. She buried her face in my shoulder

"Hey.. sweetie, calm down, I won't let anyone hurt you." Her breathing steadied and I opened up the door, carrying the crying child into the adoption office, I really want to adopt her.

No one else, I want Max. Not only because she is such a sweetheart, but she needs me, there is NO WAY that I can leave her here in this situation with a bully as toxic as that girl from earlier. I sat down with Max still in my arms and her clinging to me.

"I want to adopt this little cutie," I said eagerly, I felt max smile into me.

The caretaker rolled her eyes and had a look of disgust on her face.

"Is there a problem?"I asked with a rather smart ass tone dripping from my voice.

"N-no it's just... Wouldn't you want a calmer child? she's not even a little kid anymore. Since when do people ever want older kids? We have plenty of other children available."

"I want Max."

"Maxine" I heard the caretaker correct, I felt Max cringe a little and grip me tighter.

"Where do I sign?" I asked, fed up with her rudeness. She handed me a form with Max's age and other information her likes and dislikes, how her parents passed away, etc. Then it had a line for the adopter/adoptee to sign, I signed the line and the agreement. She's mine and I'm going to be the best mommy ever.

"Come on, sweetie, let's grab your stuff."

We walked up to her room and she grabbed her things, I saw her sneak a pack of something in her bag. Most likely family things or something along those lines.

"Ready, Max?" She nodded as I took her bag from her and her hand in mine, gripping it securely.

She looked completely exhausted, poor kid. I scooped her up in my arms, letting her rest her head on my shoulder as we walked to the car. I went to put her in the car and realized  I didn't have a car seat.

"Dang it," I said aloud and Max looked at me confused.

Max

"Dang it," Demi muttered under her breath. I gave her a confused look.

"I don't have a car seat and I don't want you to get hurt or for me to get a ticket," she looked stressed and it was my fault. I looked down shamefully. She lifted my chin up.

"It's okay, we'll get you a seat straight away."

"B..but Demi, I don't need a seat, I'm 12" I laughed a little.

"But you're small, I don't want you to get hurt."  She whined. Me.. tiny??? She's out of her mind, I'm huge. I shook the bad thoughts out of my head and buckled myself.

"You're still getting a car seat, it's the law because you're a good bit smaller than average."

I don't even think that I'll fit in a car seat, much less need one. I giggled a little at her sarcasm. I was exhausted and I fell asleep about halfway to the store.

Demi

I looked back at the adorable sleeping max in the backseat.