Chapter 6

Demi POV

"Who's Max?" I froze. She's kidding, right? 

"You're Max" 

"No, I-I'm not Max," she began to cry. I was so confused, yet so concerned.  

"I-I'm Max? Right, mommy?" She said pointing at herself.

"Yes, baby girl, you're Max" I replied, pointing back at her. 

"Mommy... S-Sarah told me I-I'm not Max, a-and that you d-don't love me" By the end of her sentence she was crying even worse than earlier and it broke my heart. I held her close. 

"I DO love you, so so so much, babygirl. You're my little Maxie." After a few minutes of her sobbing, she calmed down for the time being. I took the opportunity to text Marissa (a great friend of mine)

D- "Hey Rissa, I need you to come over ASAP, no time for questions"

M- "Okay Dems, on my way now, give me 10 I just left."

D- "Okay, Thanks, Rissa. Love you.

M-"Love you to Dems."

I looked back at Max who was now trembling. "Baby girl, what's wrong?" Concern clear in my voice. 

"I-I..." she went silent, second guessing if she should tell me or not. 

I ran my fingers through her hair as an attempt to ease her a little, "Go on, baby girl, you can tell me. It's alright." 

"Mommy, I-I'm scared." 

"Why, baby girl?" 

"T-There's a-a man a-and he w-wants to hurt me, mommy." With that, she started full on sobbing again... Awe, my poor baby, I need Rissa to hurry up, I have no clue what to do. 

"Baby, there's no man here who's gonna hurt you. You're safe." She shook her head and held onto me so tight that I could feel her shaking. 

"Mommy, get him away!" 

"There's no one... baby, look at me." She shook her head and just buried her face in my shoulder. 

"It's okay..." Despite my efforts to calm and comfort her, nothing was working, a second later there was a knock on the door. Which only terrified Max even more, sending her into complete hysterics. 

"Shhh, baby, it's just Marissa." 

She stopped crying as hard, but her breathing was still unsteady and she whimpered into my shoulder. I stood up, still holding Max and let Marissa in. 

"Can you shut the door behind you, thanks, Rissa."

Marissa POV

Demi texted me that she needed me over ASAP, a million bad scenarios ran through my head as I pulled up to her house.  I went up to her house and knocked on the door, I heard crying, more like sobbing, but it wasn't Demi. 

Demi came to the door with a crying child in her arms, the poor kids must have only been about 5. 

"Can you shut the door?" I shut it. 

"Thanks, Rissa"  Demi looked so worried. 

"So you needed me?" 

"Rissa you're good with kids; I can't get my Maxie to calm down. She's scared, saying there's a man who wants to hurt her, but no one else is here and I don't know what to do." Demi was so stressed and concerned. 

She'd calmed down a good bit since I'd arrived though, "Just sing to her Dems it worked for Maddie when she was little" 

"Rissa, she's not a little kid"