Chapter 31

"Woah... What.. What happened?" I said softly, still holding Max.

"What's wrong?" Dinah asked. Max whimpered and started talking about things that made no sense.

"Shh, baby, you're okay," I whispered.

"Um babe, can you go get her medicine off of the counter?" Dinah nodded.

"Thanks."

"No problem." She said, looking worried.

"M..Mila," Max said softly, snapping out of her delusions and climbing onto Camila's lap, putting her forehead against Mila's.

"Don't cry Mila, why are you scared? It's okay to be scared." Maxie said softly just as Dinah came back, handing me the medication.

"Awhh." She cooed.

"Yeah, but Laur, Mani, Ally, what happened and where's Maddie?" I asked.

"She just got.. really scared and she thought of something and it just.. it messed with her and she's scared. Mads is upstairs taking a nap, She's okay. Baby.. you're okay." Lauren informed me, turning to Camila at the end. Max snuggled closer to Mila, making me smile a little. Max tugged Mila gently,

"Mimi, what made you scared? I get scared too, you can tell me." Max said softly to Camila. She makes me so proud with how compassionate she can be. Max squinted her eyes shut really tight and shook her head.

"Mimi, tell me." Max shook Camila a little.

"I don't want to scare you, Maxie," Mila told her.

"Y..you won't. I'm not a baby. I can handle it." Ally shook her head,

"Nono, sweetie. it's gonna bother you. Okay?" Ally told Max, who nodded.

"Whatever it is I..I-"

"Max, hun. Come with me." Normani said.

"Wait," I said.

"Max, baby, medicine."I reminded her. Max shook her head.

"N..no mommy... no medicine." She pleaded, shaking her head and burying her face in Camila's shirt.

"Hey... Max, sweetheart. You should take your medicine. Okay?" Camila suggested, calming down.

"I..I can't!" Max covered her ears and started to cry.

"Shh..." Dinah picked up Max while I went and grabbed a juice. I came back into the room.

"Camila, we're talking about this later, okay? Please?" I told Camila, who nodded.

"M..Mommy..no..No! No medicine please!" Dinah let Max cuddle into her.

"Use your words, hun, why don't you want your medicine?" Lauren asked Maxie, moving her hair out of her face and tucking it behind her ear. Max shook her head, chewing on her bottom lip to try and keep herself together.

"Tell her baby, please. I'm worried." I whispered softly to her as Dinah rocked Max gently.

"C..cause they s..said I..I can't or th..they will h..hurt you guys, a..and mommy." We all shared a look,

"They won't because guess what..." Ally started, kneeling in front of Max. Maxie looked up at Ally and sniffled.

"They can't hurt any of us because we don't believe in their powers. They can't do anything to anyone who doesn't believe that they can. Do you know what that means?" She shook her head,

"It means that if you don't believe they can hurt you, then they can't. They can only scare you." Ally told Max, wiping her tears, making us all silently coo.