Chapter 18

Demi POV

My mom was there to pick Max and me up. I carried Max in one arm and wrapped her up in the blanket and carried her car seat in the other arm while my mom got our suitcases and put them into the trunk. I set the car seat in the car and gave my mom a huge hug before wrapping both of my arms around Max. "I missed you so much, mommy." "I missed you too, Hun. So.. How old is this little cutie?" "She's 12." My moms eyes practically fell out of their sockets. "Maddie is 9 and she is wayyyyy taller than her." I nodded and sighed. "Well let's get going, I haven't told anyone that you were coming home so it will be a surprise to them." I nodded as I buckled Max up. "I hope max takes all of this change alright, she's been through so much already. She was asleep when I booked the flight. She did wake up from a bad dream on the plane but I don't think she was with it enough to take in her surroundings." Mom nodded as we started the 15 minute ride home. Once we got home mom took the suitcases inside and I carried Max in, still wrapped up in the blanket. "Demi!!" Maddie screamed. Waking Max up. Maddie gave me a tight hug and Max popped her head up and rubbed her tired crystal blue eyes. "Aweeee Dems, she's so cute, who is she. Is she one of Lauren's cousins?" Maddie asked excitedly. I set Max down, she was super short next to Maddie. "This.. Is your niece. Her name is Max." "Aweeee Demi, she is so cute and teeny." Max did a fake pout, "Heeyyyyy.. I'm older than you by a lot.. You're the cute one." Maddie looked confused then got down to Max's level. "Really..? But you're the one who looks like a doll." "I'm 12 and I do not." Maddie's eyes got huge and we all laughed, even Max. I guess she feels right at home. Then Maddie yelled, "Dallas!!!! Demi is home and she brought a porcelain doll with her!!!" Max did a fake pout then laughed, not being able to keep a straight face. Dallas came running down the stairs and gave me a big hug and smiled at Max, "hey cutie, what's your name?" Max looked down at her feet and held her hands behind her back and rocked back and forth on her feet, "M..Max." She looked up and smiled a little. "Aweee demi she is so cute." Max blushed, "thanks." Max said quietly. I bent down to Max's level, "Babygirl do you want to go play with Maddie?" She shook her head then clung onto my arm, "what if someone tries to hurt me mommy...?" Tears welled up in her eyes and fell onto her cheeks. I wiped them away, "you're safe here babygirl, no one is going to hurt you." She nodded and smiled.
Then, she and Maddie went upstairs. Dad wasn't home yet, but I'm sure that he will love max too. "So what's her story? I know she has one, that kid reminds me a lot of you before treatment, how fragile she is..." Dallas asked, concern in her voice. Mom was in the kitchen doing something. I told her EVERYTHING, from the self harm, to the eating disorder, to the hospitalization, to what happened with Wilmer, even how her parents died. "Awe.. I know you'll be good for her sis. She can sleep with you or with Maddie." I nodded, "I'll let her pick." "We've got a lot of catching up to do." I nodded, "YuP." 

Max POV

I went upstairs with Maddie, she's really nice. Also, really mature for her age. Usually 9 year olds aren't so mature. "Do you want to go for a walk?" "Sure... Um.. In this?" I laughed pointing at my white and blue onesie. "No silly." She laughed as well. "Otay, I'll be right back." She gave me a thumbs up and I walked downstairs and tripped at the bottom, face planting. I stood up and rubbed my head laughing , mommy ran over, "Baby are you okay?!" I laughed and nodded, "Damn Demi.. She is definitely your daughter." "Mommy can Maddie and I go on a walk?" "Sure thing babygirl, just get a change of clothes." I told her thank you and hugged her then ran over to my suitcase. I got out my tan UGG boots with bows on the back, my black high waisted jeggings, an off white lace long sleeve crop top that's topped at the top of my jeans, and a lace bow to match, then I put my hair in a messy bun then put in the bow before running back up stairs to Maddie's room. "Ready!" I cheered, "you look adorable." She said laughing. "Shhhhh." I said sarcastically. We held hands and walked out the door. "Be back by 8, okay?" "Yes ma'am!" Maddie called back. There was a pond down the road from their house, so we decided to walk there, we just talked about ourselves, hobbies, and stuff like that. Turns out we have a lot in common. I was sitting on a big rock by the edge of the pond with Maddie when I saw a boy that looked really familiar. Then it dawned on me....