Chapter 4: Starting off the adventure by saving a village under siege!

As Mordred walked through the forest, Mordred felt a sort of tranquil calm, a kind that he could never have felt in that busy world he lived in. The best he could remember was a short walk in the park with his parents from long ago. This was like that, just many times better. A leisurely stroll as he heard the sounds of the forests.

Yet that tranquil calm came to an abrupt end, for he noticed smoke rising from the distance. This was both a good and bad thing. Smoke indicated that there was some sort of intelligent civilization but at the same time a smoke that big probably meant that it was also the sign of some sort of incident having occurred.

"I'm going to run, so keep up."

Mordred ordered Irina.

"Understood."

She answered without objections.

'Speeding up' was no joke. For Mordred this meant employing various movement oriented skills together, the result was that he sped faster than a bullet train. Yet despite this, Irina showed no inclination to lag behind, in fact she was right on his tail without breaking a sweat. Feeling impressed Mordred showed a small grin, a grin which did not escape Irina's detection. She felt exhilarated about being acknowledged by her one and only master.

Drawing near the smoke Mordred and Irina slowed down their pace.

"... ?!"

Mordred's [intuition] passive skill was alerting him that several entities would be coming out of the nearby bushes. He was poised to strike whatever was going to come out but once he saw actually running out he relaxed himself a little. Yet he wasn't any less weary from what he saw.

A young girl no older than perhaps 7, she was heavily injured and bleeding. She ran straight into him without looking and fell over. She was extremely scared as evident by the clear signs of horror in her expression and subtle trembling.

"Ah...!"

Upon meeting Mordred's gaze she started to crawl backwards feeling cornered. Once again Mordred's [Intuition] skill alerted him that another person was approaching. This time the need to be cautious was warranted. A knight; a knight adorned in metal plating from head to toe, with a red emblem on the chest plate came out. A sword in one hand and a shield on the other.

"You guys, how did you escape?"

The knight had mistook Mordred and Irina for villagers who had escaped. Between the two, perhaps Mordred looked much less intimidating and more approachable as the little girl scrawled to him and begged.

"P... please, save..."

She wasn't able to finish the sentence as she fell unconscious. Mordred crouched down to pick her up and started to cure her with some light [cleric] magic. Small glows of light surrounded him and the wounds on the small girl were instantly recovered. Seeing this the knight grew impatient and drew his sword to slash them down, but that was impossible.

A few seconds later the knight noticed that he was looking at the sky for some reason. Then everything went black in his vision. He had been instantly decapitated by Irina's searing red blade, for approaching her master with insolent intentions she could not forgive the knight.

"Disgusting fool..."

She muttered under her breath.

Mordred never had any sense of strong sentiments of justice, even as a kid when he saw others enjoying hero shows about justice and whatnot, he could only look down at them for their naiveté. At the same time however, he was not so cold hearted as one would initially think, after all he was also a thinking, feeling human being. Perhaps if it was only at a level where someone was asking for help, he might have simply ignored it.