Chapter 68: The secrets of the World Tree

Quietly contemplating, Mordred stared out the window as the supremely uncomfortable horse-driven carriage jotted through the beaten path. He did not believe that his eyes had betrayed him, yet what he saw also could not be doubted. The way the demonic mana slithered away as the minotaur was slain, the feeling he felt as he witness that scene. If both his eyes and the events told truth then there was only one possible conclusion, that what he saw was indeed true.

Of what Mordred knew, the [March of the Undead] was an event that took place on Halloween. What had caught Mordred's attention the most was the fact that when this event was in progress the monsters would be beefed up just like how the monsters were in this world. When they were killed the demonic mana would also fly away to a certain place to, again, just like how it operated in this world.

It could not be a coincidence for these two to be perfectly in sync. Thus Mordred could only conclude that the [March of the Undead] event was indeed taking place here. Despite how rational this claim was, at the same time it was irrational; why would a game event be taking place in this world? However the same could apply to Mordred's powers. He couldn't dispute it; however the more frightening aspect of this laid elsewhere.

"Hmm? Is something wrong, Mordred?"

Caroline asked, slightly enticed by a solemn Mordred. Though she knew him to be a man of few words he usually had an air of comfort around him that did not make it awkward to be around. However right now, seeing Mordred so quietly gaze out the window in deep thought made her worry that something was up.

Mordred shook his head as he offered a soft smile.

"No, it's nothing. Please don't worry about me."

She wasn't particularly satisfied with that answer but as a high noble she knew when to not intrude in other's personal matters. At the very least, since she did consider him an important comrade-in-arms she did wish deep in her heart that whatever was ailing him to smooth itself out soon.

Both Ashen and Padan also looked worriedly at Mordred but decided not to say a word. They both looked to each other before Ashen remembered that he was supposed to be annoyed with Padan. Quietly as a funeral procession the clumsy horse-driven cart continued its way towards the Dragon's Domain.

...

As the night settled in the negotiation party decided to set up camp and rest for the night. The horses also needed some rest after running around for hours on end. Though in truth all that was needed was a little [refresh stamina] spell from Mordred to refill their stamina. However Mordred felt that he needed some time to think to himself thus he refrained from doing so.

To prevent surprise monster attacks, each member of the group took turns keeping watch while the others slept. Naturally Mordred volunteered to be on watch first. While the others had worried about his solemn state of mind they trusted that he could do well on guard duty even in such a state.

"Master, has something been bothering you?"

Irina asked, sensing her master's worry she was unable to sleep. Though really, as a high level Draconian, sleep was something only to do purely for therapeutic reasons and not necessity.

"Irina? No, I'm just thinking about some things."

Irina moved closer and sat next to Mordred.

"If you don't mind me, I'm willing to listen to whatever problems you have, master."

Seeing her actions Mordred couldn't help but acknowledge how cute they were, much akin to how a small puppy tries to warm up to its owner. He let out a small chuckled as he conceded and decided to confide in her wisdom for a little while.