Chapter 49: Secret War (2): Illegitimate Insubordination

The all encompassing static of rain drowned the area with the only other sound being the heavenly drums of thunder. Beneath the skies arcing with lightning were two figures locked in combat in an isolated area, though it was obvious from the start who would win.

"Hah... hahaha... I see, so this is the infamous 'Phantom'." I knew you'd becoming for me eventually but to think it would be this soon. Well no matter, now that you're here the only way we can come to an impasse is if one of us stops breathing. Though admittedly, something tells me that the odds aren't quite in my favor."

With haggard breaths, dwindling vision and draining strength, a young man by the name of 'Sven Serus' stood with weapon in hand to contest the reaper that had appeared before him. His pale earthy hair had become disheveled and soaked with the scent of battle and hidden way behind those deceptively thick framed glasses were the eyes of someone prepared to die. Or perhaps more aptly, he never had any expectations to be let alive in the first place, thus they were the eyes of one who had already made peace.

His frame lacked any real muscles to speak of, making his attack near non-threatening, however that was fine because he wasn't a straight laced warrior to being with. His real forte lied in his keen eyes, speed and quick wits; to strike at the enemy's weakness and vulnerabilities and end the battle as quick as possible. That was his battle style, however that being said, such a strategy was useless against this specific opponent. 'Phantom' had no openings or vulnerabilities; there was never a chance for victory in the first place and before the battle even began Sven had figured this out already, thus the reason for his apathetic eyes.

Phantom pointed the replica Sacred Sword towards Sven but oddly he was hesitant to deal the final blow. Despite how easy it would've been to just finish this, he found it strangely difficult. It was those eyes; in those defeatist eyes Mordred saw a part of his old self. Striking down now would be like killing and rejecting his old self and despite knowing that stalling any longer would mean the detective prince charging in Phantom merely stood there examining his foe with a curiously empathetic gaze.

'I don't want to kill him', Phantom thought to himself; his heart told him this yet not killing him was never an option from the start. Behind those thick frames were the eyes of someone who had already given up, not from the battle but in life in general.

"If you don't want to die, then join me."

Sven's eyes widened in surprise as Phantom posited such an idea. However the proposal was quickly dismissed with a wry smile.

"... Heh, what a tasty proposal. However I must decline, I don't have the hobby of betraying my comrades, so the only choice left for me is death. But well, it seems I've somehow piqued your interests so if you don't mind listening to the final request of a dying man... at least grant me the illusion of chance. I would be content with that."

"..."

Phantom lowered the replica Sacred Sword in his hands and tossed it over to Sven and took one more out of his [inventory] for himself. The two were now face to face with equal weaponry.

"This is?"

"It's a replica. As you asked, I will give you a chance. This will be a 'fair' fight with no other techniques other than our own intrinsic skills and mastery. If you win then I will let you go, but if I win..."

Of course in the end Phantom never had for a slight second thought of letting him go even if he did lose in a straight up sword fight. As Sven had asked, what he wanted was not a real chance but merely the illusion of one. The reason Phantom had agreed was simply because he had also thought of the same thing when he was living on the other side.