Chapter 37: Wait, I felt a great disturbance in the force

As daybreak approached, in the city gently blanketed by a white mist, two inexperienced figures could be seen walking towards a large building titled the Adventurer's Guild. The soft singing of early birds combined with the cold misty air accentuated a fresh start to the day as Tau and Alice were ready for their first task. Yesterday they had signed up to become adventurers and today was the day that they would actually take a step forward in their lives by accepting their first official mission.

The two stood and stared at the magnificent red doors of the Guild, swallowing their tension as they entered. The soft fragrance of mana crystal 'air fresheners' entering their noses they realized that they were finally fully fledged adventurers. The number of people that were here with them could be counted on one hand; adventurers were a willful bunch after all, they worked only when they wanted to needed to.

"Ready Alice?"

Tau asked, unsure if even he was ready for this task. Growing up in the small village of Imik with his childhood friend the city had already proven to be quite a far cry from what he had been surrounded with up until now. Even the monsters around the capital were much different compared to the small critters that inhabited the area around his hometown.

Alice gave a ready nod as she stared back without a word. Her strong and willful eyes told him everything that he wanted to know. 'Together', that's what they promised each other before leaving the village as well as yesterday night. Though a rather unpleasant prospect, together they will accomplish Tau's goal.

They walked up towards the counter and spoke to the receptionist. They briefly wondered if this woman was the same one from yesterday or if they simply looked similar. If she was the same then she was amazing to have been so well presented from such an early time of day.

"Good morning, are you here to accept a mission?"

The receptionist lady asked with a pleasant smile.

"Y- yes, we signed up yesterday so we want to try out a mission."

Tau replied, slightly anxious about his first time receiving a mission. Having seen a lot of greenhorn adventurers throughout her time the receptionist knew how to handle these kinds of people. She gathered a few low rank missions that were easy to complete and set it out on the table for Tau and Alice to choose from.

[Decrease local goblin population]
[Gathering Herbs for medicine]
[Deliver a package to a certain individual]

These three were the missions available for the two at the current time. It wasn't that there weren't any more missions but for the rank of an E5 adventurer this was the limit.

"Which should we pick?"

Indifferent to the options Tau asked Alice for her opinion. Since they were in this together they needed to be unanimous with their decisions. Alice pondered a bit humming 'hmm~' to herself a in the end she decided with the [decrease local goblin population] quest. A simple subjugation mission for the lowest rank monsters, the Goblins.

"Are you sure?"

Tau asked for confirmation to which Alice nodded.

"Okay, then we'd like to accept this mission please."

Tau told the receptionist and she nodded with a smile.

"Understood, then your mission is to hunt 20 goblins. Once you have finished the mission it will automatically be updated on your adventurer cards which you can bring back to the guild for your reward."

The receptionist explained. Tau and Alice looked at each other and gave a firm nod to signify that they understood and were prepared. After confirming that their mission was accepted they left the guild and towards the outskirts of the Capital's territory where the Goblin territory were.