Chapter 40: A fate better than death but worse than living

"Ugh~ w, what...?"

Recovering from his unconscious state, Casec found himself with both his hands tied up behind his back against the spine of a chair in a dark room. A single source of magic light from above gave dim visibility and accentuated the grim and dreaded aura of his prison. A quick glance revealed that there were no obvious windows around the room meaning the possibility that he was currently being kept underground.

Surrounding him were four brick walls that were reminiscent of those seen in deep underground catacombs. At the very least this enclosed room carried with it perhaps centuries of history if not more. On one of the walls was a large steel door that had been inhabited by cobwebs and dust but appeared still sturdy enough to withstand magical artillery if given the chance.

Almost as though every brick was haunted with the ghosts of whoever died down here, the sounds of wind harrowing through the cracks gave off an ominous screech. However at the same time this was a good indication that even if he was currently underground there was still a connection to the outside, else wind would not flow. While both his hands were tied behind his back with some metal chains this level of ensnarement shouldn't have been enough to keep the famed OMEGA ranked tracker tied for too long. Or so he had thought but no matter how much he tried to struggle out of those chains all it would do was rattle and inform his captors that he had become awake.

The most reasonable conclusion was that it was enforced with some kind of reinforcement magic or enchantment that prevented him for freeing himself. There were all sorts of magic in the world that were yet unknown to many people so it wasn't too hard to believe that a new form of ensnare magic was developed. Especially if it was by that woman, Morgana Daltress who carried foreign magic with her.

"Tch..."

This wasn't good; all he had accomplished trying to free himself was to reveal to his captors that he was now awake. No doubt they'd come to interrogate him now. Well, that much was fine; he didn't possess any material products that tied him down to his group the Wayfarer council so his captors probably wouldn't get too much information if he didn't speak. The only worrisome aspect was that his face was fairly well known due to his high rank as an adventurer, but with careful manipulation of words that could be remedied.

"They're coming, huh?"

Casec could feel the sound of footsteps drawing closer from the outside of his captivity cell. One... two... no, three? Three people were approaching his position and with every tap of their boots against the stone floor the tension in his heart began to rise. Usually the fate of any captive assassin would be suicide, at least the ones that kept their honor to their employer. However Casec was also a fairly willful man who believed that it was possible to weasel his way out of any situation and this time too he wanted to test his luck.

The sound of high heels across the stone floor, most likely this was his original target, Morgana Daltress. The other was the sound of metallic greaves, perhaps a bodyguard or personal knight? The last one wore heavy leather boots; the face of that butler who had defeated him had come to mind. Casec felt his heart racing faster just remembering what had happened before; the way that butler had carried himself and that smug attitude with those eyes that looked down on him as if he were a mere ant.

He wanted another chance to fight back and perhaps that chance may come very soon. Casec took a deep breath and swallowed to clear his throat. The small metallic knob of the prison spun slowly and opened the door which creaked ominously. Three people had entered the room and of which two of them could be instantly recognized.

The first of which was his original target, dressed elegantly with clothes that could only be weaved with the highest most quality threads. Her soft pale skin complimented the light blue dress she wore and her blonde hair tied up into a ponytail only accentuated the natural charms of her neck and ears. The nation's beloved merchant that had recently become the minister of defense and the 'champion of the people'.